Power Mirrors - Member "obergc"

Arkansawyer

My power mirrors were completely dead also, I got them working by removing and cleaning the contacts of the switches. The switch is very easy to take apart after you remove it from the dash. Removing the switch was fairly difficult as I recall, you have to remove other components to get at the switch.

On which of the switches did you clean?

The switch that is for L or R or the one that actually moves the mirrors?

The reason why I ask is that in the past I have gotten switches to work by simply spraying WD-40 into them without having to remove them.

Do you think this would be possible in this case?

Was able to pull the switch out last night and get it cleaned up. Put it back in and no change.

Possibly in the mirror motors themselves? Seems odd that both mirrors would go out at the same time.

I'm thinking it is a bad switch and will be keeping an eye out for a new one on eBay.

Since the left/right selection as well as the up/down/left/right adjustment switches are together, I carefully disassembled and cleaned all the contacts of the switches. It was quite a bit of work to get the switch assembly out. I personally would NEVER spray WD-40 into a switch assembly like this even though some people say they have used it for that purpose. These are not your common/every day type of switch. If you can cleaned the switches with no luck, then I doubt that the switches are the problem. These switches are very well constructed and if they are clean, then they should be ok. There are two fuses in the mirror circuit and I'll assume that you have the memory system for the seats/steering wheel/outside mirrors because the circuit is different with and without the memory system. The two fuses for the mirrors with memory are a 7.5 amp radio No. 2 fuse and a 10A Dome fuse. Check these fuses and I assume that all of your other memory functions like the steering wheel and seats work between the two driver positions. The mirrors also have a remote control mirror ECU and it is really buried under the instrument panel, behind the glove box and above the a/c evaporator assy. Good luck at getting access to it, it's somewhat difficult to locate even once you have the glove box out and btw, you have air bag connectors to deal with when you remove the glove box. You can eliminate the switch assy as the cause of your problem by jumpering the following various pins together on the switch connector. I will try to give you a matrix for checking both mirrors in all directions. First of all, here is the color codes for the various pin #'s.

1 - light green, 2 - brown/red stripe, 3 - gray, 4 - no connection, 5 - light green/black stripe, 6 - red/green stripe, 7 - no connection, 8 - pink/black stripe. Now, jumpering the following pins should give you the following movement.

Left hand mirror ------2 & 3 left, 2 & 8 right, 6 & 3 up, 6 & 8 down.

Right hand mirror ---- 1 & 3 left, 1 & 8 right, 5 & 3 up, 5 & 8 down

If the mirrors move with the pins jumpered, then you have bad switches. If they don't move, your problem lies elsewhere. Good luck

I neglected to advise you that you need to have the ignition switch in the "accessory" position when you jumper the remote mirror switch connector. That provides power to the radio No2 fuse which also provides power to the remote mirror ECU.