Check Engine Light @ 97k

The other day the check engine light came on in my 2000 GS300. But the weird thing is that it came on exactly at 97k miles :blink: to the tenth. Is this standard. Has anyone had this happen right at 97k before? I am taking it to the mechanic next week. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Way too much bread. Easy enough to do yourself, provided you know which one it is. Any backyard mechanic with an OBDII compliant scantool can turn off the check engine light when you are done. Look here.

General Note:

Stick with the OE type. You don't want to be crimping stainless steel O2 sensor wire. The differences between the sensors is wire length and possibly plug style. Look at the associated pictures.

GuyTelefunken, have you changed your O2 sensors before? Is it easy? If my mechanic wont tell me which sensor is bad, ( since there is 4 of them) how can I tell which on it is? Should I buy an aftermartket sensor ( if so which brand to you recommend ) or one from Lexus? I would love to save the cash. Thanks for the help. ;)

post-11139-1132501046_thumb.jpg And buy this kit?

Well, if you don't know the code number, you won't know which sensor is bad. Either the Walker or the Denso (Denso is OEM Toyota) both work fine. The last few Walker sensors I got were made in Japan as the Denso is. As long as you get a sensor with the same plug and wire length (see pics on the site) it should be a piece of cake. Basically unscrew and rescrew.

As far as the tool, any one of the (3) tools in that set should work. After you figure out which sensor is your problem, look at it to determine which tool will work best. You probably only need one of the (3). Sometimes no tool at all is needed as they can be reached with a standard open-ended wrench. The slots in these tools are made to clear the wires on the sensor.

**Note: When you install the sensor, either screw it in first then plug it in or estimate the number of threads (revolutions) it will take to install it completely and twist the wire counterclockwise that many times before you start. This way, when it is fully installed the wire will not be twisted.

On your mechanic: If he doesn't want to tell you what's cookin, tell him to go pound sand. Find another one (with the ability to clear the code after you're done.)

Most shops have some kind of generic OBDII compliant scan tool. This is all that is required to clear an emissions related fault. In more complicated cases, the Lexus scantool is required. With O2 sensors, the government mandated OBDII (On Board Diagnostics, revision 2) in 1996 so that any shop can fix emission-related problems on any car without needing the manufacturer-specific scantool.

Thanks Guy, I talked to my cousin, he has a car lot and he said that he has a OBDII to clear the code. Now I just need to find out which sensor it is. Doesn't auto part stores have the devices to tell you what code it is. Places like O'Reillys,. Advance, Napa and Auto Zone?

Thanks for the info, Here's to you Guy :cheers:

The two sensors located behind the catalytic converters normally last about twice as long as the two sensors located in front of the converters. For that reason, another way to save money is to just replace the two sensors in front of the two catalytic converters. Replacing just these two is almost guaranteed to get rid of your Check Engine Light.

I found out from the mechanic which sensor it is. It is the Downstream senor #1. The sensor for the #1 cylinder. Now which side is that, divers of passenger? Before or after the cat? Where can a guy find Walker or Denso O2 sensors? I tried a couple of place but no luck, they carry Bosch and AC Delco.

I found out from the mechanic which sensor it is. It is the Downstream senor #1. The sensor for the #1 cylinder. Now which side is that, divers of passenger? Before or after the cat? Where can a guy find Walker or Denso O2 sensors? I tried a couple of place but no luck, they carry Bosch and AC Delco.

We have an inline 6, so everything is on the passenger side :P I believe it would be the sensor closest to the firewall of the car. The exhaust manifold is divided into 2 banks, front 3 cylinder and rear 3 cylinders, with an o2 for each bank. Try oxygensensors.com