Power Steering Magnetic Inline Filter

Gumart1

A few members have posted here about adding a power steering inline filter to their LS's after completing a ps flush. I think it is a great idea for preventative maintenance, as long as you remember to check/replace the filter regularly.

I e-mailed A1 Cardone who sells a standard inline filter as well as a premium magnetic filter asking about the differences:

"You're right. I checked with the engineer & he said the (PREMIUM) magnetic one 20FLT2 was the best to use. It has a magnet, a finer filter, & a pressure relief valve in case it gets clogged. They are throwaways & like any other filter, depending on mileage, should be changed about every 2 years or 24000 mi"

Dan Spang

Cardone Technical Services Dept.

ASE Master Certified

Rockauto sells the premium filter for about $25 shipped. It is about 5" long and 2.5" wide. Should be a tight fit but offers more filtering capability than the standard which is inserted into the the return line. The standard filter is only $7 shipped. The standard is tempting with the low price, but I'm leaning towards the premium because of the built-in safety that would not allow a clog to compromise the flow. Has anyone purchased this yet?

It's a perfect time for me because I just finished flushing and had to cut off the old hose, so I have an ample length of new hose. Which filter did you use Bicolini? The magnetic filter requires a space of 2 and 1/2" by 5" long which is tight but I think it will work.

SK is your tranny fluid still bright red with the addition of your filter? What is your typical replacement interval? Thanks for the reminder on those threads. Looks great that may be my next project. My tranny has a rough downshift when slowing under 30mph so I plan to drop the pan and clean the magnets and screen. I'll see what happens and go from there, but these filters (especially for the power steering for the LS and for the tranny in the RX) should almost be a requirement.