Gs Or Cl?

hey guys, im currently stuck between purchasing a 98-99 GS400 non navi or a 2003 6-speed Acura CL non navi.. (however will need to wait for one cl in the 13kish price to show up)

for those that dont know, CL 6speed is kinda hard to find, the acura 3.2 CL had horrible transmission issues and the 2003 6speed is the only rock solid version of the car. its 260 HP, front wheel drive.

here is where im stuck, unless i can find a 98,99 gs400 for 10 grand with sub 100k mileage it doesnt feel worth the price compared to a 13-14 grand 6speed CL with 90k miles.

what are your guy's thoughts on the matter? ive never driven or sat in a GS 400, but have a 2000/2001 LS 430, im guessing they are comparable right?

anyone who has driven both a 3.2 types CL and a GS400 have any insight?

thanks..

hey guys, im currently stuck between purchasing a 98-99 GS400 non navi or a 2003 6-speed Acura CL non navi.. (however will need to wait for one cl in the 13kish price to show up)

for those that dont know, CL 6speed is kinda hard to find, the acura 3.2 CL had horrible transmission issues and the 2003 6speed is the only rock solid version of the car. its 260 HP, front wheel drive.

here is where im stuck, unless i can find a 98,99 gs400 for 10 grand with sub 100k mileage it doesnt feel worth the price compared to a 13-14 grand 6speed CL with 90k miles.

what are your guy's thoughts on the matter? ive never driven or sat in a GS 400, but have a 2000/2001 LS 430, im guessing they are comparable right?

thanks..

Personally there is no comparison, Hands down the GS400. :cheers:

My dad used to say "never ask a barber if you need a haircut." While I love my Lex and would not have anything else, you're asking Lex lovers about an Acura. I suggest you won't get an objective opinion, but I could be wrong.

Here's an old psychology trick. Flip a coin and assess your reaction to the result. If you're happy or unhappy, you will know which way to go.

Good luck.

Nothing better than a long test drive.  May people enjoy the GS400, especially since its pushing 300hp.

I say the GS400 because of build quality, reliability,Value, and of course HP. And yes this may not be the best place to be doing the comparison so drive them both and decide from there. Good Luck on your decision. :whistles:

In the current market, you will NOT find a quality GS400 with your spec for that price. If this statement is your decision maker, then get the CL.

If you have not driven or even sat in a GS, you are not being fair to the Lexus. It is nothing compared to an LS430. The ride is different. The suspension is different. The experience is different. The LS is tailored for a more luxury/refined drive environment. The GS will be sportier which also translates to noisier, not as cushy. Even so, the ride is not so sporty that it cannot be improved (and I think it will need to be depending on you taste).

Remember that Lexus is a few steps above Acura in reliability and prestige. If you ask Lexus guys, they will agree with this. If you ask Acura guys who are objective, they will agree with this. If you ask anyone else (non car nut ;)) familiar with both brands, more than likely you will get the same response. There is a difference in status when you own a Lexus vs an Acura.

Although not you cannot always find direct examples, you are close if you compare Audi vs MB ownership. Audi makes great cars but if you compare the status of Audi vs MB ownership, what would most people select (in terms of brand recognition of status). Whether or not you agree or care about this, this is the opinion of most people I know.

On top of the status, Lexus reliability is not an opinion. You can just look at all the crash tests and JD Powers numbers and so on and you will see who comes out ahead. I am not saying Lexus is infallible (as there are exceptions and recalls ...), you just have a better chance at owning quality.

I don't know anyone who has owned both so it is hard to say. I've only had an Integra and an MDX. If I had to compare the general Acura vs Lexus quality, Lexus wins hands down. I know people who owns TL-S's and have made the switch never looking back while loving their GS. I think the TL is a better comparison anyway since both are sedans. In your case, you are comparing a coupe vs a 4-dr sedan so even visually, there is a different look and feel.

Personally, I would spend a little more and go with a 00 Lexus. The 00 model has a few upgrades (like brake assist) that are worth getting. The 01-05 would put you too far out of your price point. Otherwise, I'd suggest one of those. ;) If not, I'd spend the same 13-14 on the 98s (if you can find one). Don't you wonder why the Lexus retains their value? Or looking at it another way, don't you wonder why you can get the CLs for so cheap? ;)

Good luck with your decision.

I just brought a 1998 GS400 with right at a 100k miles for 16,900 (w/ Navi). I also had an ex-girlfriend with a 2001 Acura CL. No comparison, hands down the GS400 is the better vehicle. I state this for numerous reasons: I found the CL to be cramped in the inside, the manual shifter in the GS to me was more responsive, and 300 horse is hard to match. To find a vehicle in your price range go to Auto Trader or Ebay, you will be surprise how many private sellers are looking to buy new vehilces and get rid of the GS.

To find a vehicle in your price range go to Auto Trader or Ebay, you will be surprise how many private sellers are looking to buy new vehilces and get rid of the GS.

10k for a 98-99 GS400 with less than 100k miles? Hmm. Maybe I should take a look. ;)

I assume there has to be something wrong with these or else you would not have bought yours for almost 17k.

no i understand asking this question in a Lexus forum is kinda stupid, however i was hoping to get the response i did, which is lexus owners stating why they love their car. Il ask the same question in the acura forum and then take the two and decide for myself..

also after further looking il probably need to spend about 13-14 and not 10 for a 98/99 GS400 (cant get the 300, if im buying the GS im going all the way)

its just the years that are bugging me. 2003 vs a 98/99 is nothing to laugh about, otherwise it would be no contest of course the lexus, for me personally its. Honda over Toyota, Lexus over Acura. however i think the two cars i mentioned are fairly comparable when looked at..

how does the car hold up pass 120k for all the current 98 GS400 owners?

NEO,

It is this thing called "cash up front", I had to finance through a dealer. Believe me if I had the cash flow to buy out right, I probably would have went for it.

One quick you note I am sure you can atest to this; getting the vin number of the vehicle and contacting the nearest Lexus Dealership to retrieve the service records. That way you could easily determine wheter the previous owner took care of the vehicle. Fortunate for me, the previous owner of my car maintained all services that were needed (to include new timing belt at 60k), except the 90k service. I have an appointment on the 23rd of Nov to have it done, and the vehicle checked out completely.