Excess Wheel Hop During Loss Of Traction?

Hi guys,

I am curious about how much the average SC experiences wheel-hop when the rear-end bounces/chatters during a loss of traction)? I have a 93 SC300 5-speed that has horrible wheel hop. If burn out 85% of the time it will my rear-end bounces extremely bad. I tend to lose traction quite alot so this is really getting annoying and I am pretty sure it is going to lead to something breaking. What is the cause of this? Is it bad motor mounts/ tranny mounts, bad struts, rear-subframe bushings? Im unsure of which ones to replace first. If anyone has some positive input or has had this problem or has fixed it please help me out.

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody must have some info on this. Every time I lose traction the rear of the car bounces up and down. Is it just my car doing this? Anyone else ever lose traction? I live in washington where it rainy most of the year and I have trouble keeping traction in 1st gear especially when turning, and seeing as how i dont have an lsd the car just burnsout and hops. Any info is appreciated.

I also live in Washington and deal with the wet conditions. For as heavy of a car as the SC300's are, they do break loose quite easily. However, I haven't noticed much wheel hop; simply a lot of spinning on launch. Mine is a 5 speed.

Someone told me that the rear ends can get out of alighnment. Could be the road surface as well. Or, perhaps shocks? Good topic.

I also live in Washington and deal with the wet conditions. For as heavy of a car as the SC300's are, they do break loose quite easily. However, I haven't noticed much wheel hop; simply a lot of spinning on launch. Mine is a 5 speed.

Someone told me that the rear ends can get out of alighnment. Could be the road surface as well. Or, perhaps shocks? Good topic.

I recently put a brand new set of Kumho Ecsta Supras 235/40/18's all the way around and still have the same problem. I have lowered the car and not had an alignment done yet. Is the SC suspension capable of having camber adjusted from the factory? I am awaiting my Tien SS's that are on order and am ordering diazan sway bushings as I write this. I will see if that fixes it, but hey even if it doesn't I will be satisfied with purchases I'm sure. Where about in Washington do you live? Do you drift? I drive around the Olympia area but live just south of Tacoma. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...
camber can be adjusted using the inner bolt on the lower control arms, the bolt acts like a cam and pushes the arm in or out. it has a gauge like washer attatched to it.

Is it my camber causing this problem then? I need to get an alignment anyway but do you think this is why im getting wheel-hop?