Leaks: Trans Pan, Oil Pan, Dipstick O Ring

lexluxury

HI All -- I've been quoted around 200 dollars to fix the trans pan and another 200 or so to fix the oil pan leak. Another 100 or so for the dipstick leak (O Ring). :cries: Is this reasonable, or do I need to shop around? Labor estimates are 1.5 for trans pan issue; 2 hours for the oil pan issue and another hour for the dipstick O Ring issue. :o Thoughts? Thank you!

tranny pan cost me $550 from dealer thanks to Walmart stripping out the treads in the pan itself so badly it had to be replaced. They paid half which was fair. dipstick seal went bad too, cost me $130 at dealer. Only reason why I went to dealer for that is because I thought the oil pan was leaking oil around the new seal. turned out it was the dipstick seal. Question....why all the leaks? How many miles do you have, model year, and specifically, what kind of fluids are you using? Typically with that many leaks at once, it makes me think you've got high miles and just switched over to full synthetic fluids. On rare occassions, switching to full synthetic fluids on high miles can create leaks to the old seals. Suggestion, once you do have these seals replaced, and if you're not using synthetic currently, now would be a good time to think about it.

it has around 80K. i don't know what type fluids have been, except the oil which I think is castrol (remember seeing that on oil changes). will take the synthetic idea under advisement. thank you.

tranny pan cost me $550 from dealer thanks to Walmart stripping out the treads in the pan itself so badly it had to be replaced. They paid half which was fair. dipstick seal went bad too, cost me $130 at dealer. Only reason why I went to dealer for that is because I thought the oil pan was leaking oil around the new seal. turned out it was the dipstick seal. Question....why all the leaks? How many miles do you have, model year, and specifically, what kind of fluids are you using? Typically with that many leaks at once, it makes me think you've got high miles and just switched over to full synthetic fluids. On rare occassions, switching to full synthetic fluids on high miles can create leaks to the old seals. Suggestion, once you do have these seals replaced, and if you're not using synthetic currently, now would be a good time to think about it.

• 7 years later...

My 97 had what the previous owner said was a "lower pan" leak. Took it in and the mechanic said oil pan was fine, it was the valve covers and they were leaking into the valley as well as down the block. They replaced the spark plug gaskets as well since they were filled with oil too. Now 590.00 later it's dry and no leaks. Happy!