Synth Tranny Fluid?

mckellyb

I've been surfing all over the place, and the RX300 uses Toyota type T-IV fluid, yet I don't see this listed on Mobil1's site as compatible with their synth. Anyone?

Yeah, I could get Amsoil, but won't. Don't like their biz model, and I've been a Mobil1 guy since early on.

I'm guessing the Lexus dealer has synth Toyota fluid, but, ouch...my wallet is kicking me for even thinking that....

Thanks!

i am probably going to go against the grain and say use regualr fluid

i have synthetic in my es and other who have also used it have found the tranny to die over the years including the RX

so when i finally do get mine rebuilt i will not be using it in there again

i think it is too slick for the clutches in the auto tranny

as it seems to burn them up

especially in first

Hey, thanks! I've been 'stuck' with ATF+3 in the Intrepid, and it still is on the OEM tranny at 110K, so non-synthetic can't be all *that* bad. I think regular changes are probably most important, as it's not like we're gonna be towing anything with the RX....

• 2 weeks later...

those !Removed! at toyota have tried to monopolize the market with their speicially formulated ATF. they are selling thier crap for almost $7 a quart for regular dino-oil, and no I dont recommend changing to synthetics on these trannies. i was reading around and there was a slight mention on the valvoline website as being compatible with toyota but I am not taking that chance since it is not written anywhere in the container as being type T-IV compatible.