Tire Feathering

Bagman

I own a 2000 RX300. Am original owner. Bought from Lexus of Wilmington (DE). . . not a good dealership. Only have a little over 33,000 miles on it.

Within a couple of years after buying it, I noticed substantial feathering of the Goodyear Integrity original tires. I complained to the dealership. They checked the alignment and said it was OK. They reluctantly agreed to install a new set of Michelin LTX M&S tires (my choice). I have always had good luck with Michelins. Not only do they wear long and evenly, their ability to hold a balance is way above any other tires I've owned.

However, I've had them for 3 years now, and same thing has happened -- feathering, and they're gotten noisier with time (some of the noise is natural; the tire has a very aggressive tread). So I decided to replace them with an all-season tire. To my amazement, I found there is almost no choice in tires for this car. Only ones I know of are the Michelin LTX, Goodyear Integrity, and (if you're made of money) the Michelin Cross Terrain.

I have two questions: What could be causing the feathering, or is this just normal with this vehicle? Second, anybody know of a good all-season, quiet tire for the vehicle other than the Goodyear Integrity?

I own a 1999RX300AWD and have not experienced the feathering problem. I have ran Michelin LTX and Cross terrains. Sounds like you need to find a good aliagnment shop, (not lexus) and have it checked out.

I own a 1999RX300AWD and have not experienced the feathering problem.  I have ran Michelin LTX and Cross terrains.  Sounds like you need to find a good aliagnment shop, (not lexus) and have it checked out.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do next. Lexus said they checked it when I had the problem with the Goodyear's, but it's not a good dealership, so who knows. Thanks for responding so promptly.

Well, I think I found the answer to the tire feathering problem. Had a Bear Alignment center with a good reputation do a 4-wheel alignment. Believe it or not (I've never heard of this), they found that the front wheels were pigeon-toed OUT and the rear wheels were pigeon-toed IN. So as I was driving the car, the front suspension was continuously trying to expand while the rear suspension was trying to compress! Voila, feathering. It will take time to see, but methinks the problem is solved.

This condition has apparently existed since the car came off the assembly line. It again confirms that the service dept. at Wilmington Lexus (the dealer) which checked the alignment when I first found the feathering problem, isn't worth squat.

I consider this matter closed. On other boards, there is a way to mark a thread as "solved", but can't find anything like that here. Is there?