Es250 Tranny Problem

I bought a 1990 ES250 for $500.00,It is fully loaded and all extras work,It has 105k on it and the body is clean for all intents and pourposes and shines up nicely. There is just one problem,it will not go into reverse and when in N it will drive forward and if I position the shifter just right between park and reverse it will pull forward, and when in D it shifts smoothly all the way through.I dropped the pan and found no outward signs of damage,the manual level seems to be in the correct position. Anyone have any ideas?The shift cable appears to be ok, i am going to pull the cover off of it and check to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance...flitemedic(Toby)

It shifts through all the forward gears,I've come to the conclusion that the forward band is welded...the previous owner must have overheated the tranny :angry:

The shift cable is ok...I've been trying to find a break down of the tranny showing the shift solenoid

Thanks Toys...much appreciated

If they welded the forward band, and you are mechanically inclined, try replacing it. i dont know what it entials inside of this tranny as i have never done one, however, i knwo that for $550, shipped to your door, you cna get a used tranny with like 50-80K.

New York Block and Transmission Exchange