Nav Dvd Problem

JimM

My problem is that the NAV does not work (everything else does). The screen

says "NO DISK INSERTED" when no map disk is in the related DVD unit under

the passenger seat, or it says "PROGRAM DISK INSERTED" when the disk is in

there. My belief is that a disk update might have occurred with a disk

given to me when I purchased the car (the problem was present then too).

The diagnostics error is 58-42 which translates to "dirty or scratched

disk". It is not. The DVD reads great on my pc. I have tried using a DVD

Unit Cleaner in the drive with no results. The DVD Unit is described as

follows:

TOYOTA

86841-47020

-----------------

462100-0364

12V s/n 418794

DENSO Made in Japan

U1

Questions:

=======

1) Could you tell me please if I am doing something wrong, what I need to

do? Or,

2) if you believe the NAV DVD Unit is having a problem who you

might trust and refer me to repair it? or,

3) if you don't have any answers, who you might refer me to who could

possibly help.

Many thanks!

My problem is that the NAV does not work (everything else does).  The screen

there.  My belief is that a disk update might have occurred with a disk

disk".  It is not.  The DVD reads great on my pc.  I have tried using a DVD

Unit Cleaner in the drive with no results.  The DVD Unit is described as

follows:

TOYOTA

86841-47020

-----------------

462100-0364

12V s/n 418794

DENSO   Made in Japan

U1

Questions:

=======

1)  Could you tell me please if I am doing something wrong, what I need to

do?  Or,

2) if you believe the NAV DVD Unit is having a problem who you

might trust and refer me to repair it? or,

3) if you don't have any answers, who you might refer me to who could

possibly help.

Many thanks!

What is the DVD disc in the vehicle? It needs to be an 86271-3303(2 or higher) to be compatible with your vehicle. If it is an 86271-3304(2 or higher) the DVD disc not compatible with the DVD unit in your vehicle.

Lastly if the correct map disc is installed the DVD unit has failed. I am not aware of any authorized repair facilities in the US. The DVD units are sophisticated hardware... the only other option would be to pick-up a reman unit from a Lexus dealership. If that doesn't appeal to you there is always the junk yard. :(

What is the DVD disc in the vehicle? It needs to be an 86271-3303(2 or higher) to be compatible with your vehicle. If it is an 86271-3304(2 or higher) the DVD disc not compatible with the DVD unit in your vehicle.

Lastly if the correct map disc is installed the DVD unit has failed. I am not aware of any authorized repair facilities in the US. The DVD units are sophisticated hardware... the only other option would be to pick-up a reman unit from a Lexus dealership. If that doesn't appeal to you there is always the junk yard. :(

NavGuy

The DVD that is in there is 86271-33032 - the right one. Thanks for that info. Before I go to "toast" status and buy a reman from a dealer I would love to go deeper. I bet this thing is expensive, right? Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I am not an auto tech but I am a computer network tech. Is there anything else I can do myself? The unit "looks" to be working correct in that a) the optical laser lights, B) the disk spins up, c) the disk is read (it can tell a program disk from a fake), and d) the DVD reads perfect in my pc.

If you (or anyone else reading this!) has any ideas - even some long shots, or knows of a repair facility, I would be very appreciative and would owe you a few beers and a few tequila shooters and probably dinner when you come to Southern Idaho. I would also be open to paying someone to advise me if we could get some results.

Again many thanks. Jim

• 3 months later...

JimM, did u solve yr problem ?

I have similar one but my appeared after 1.5 years of use. Please, see my last 3-4 threads in LX section of this board. Mine tells: "Please insert correct disk" while I never changed and never touched the disk inside.

My problem is that the NAV does not work (everything else does). The screen

there. My belief is that a disk update might have occurred with a disk

disk". It is not. The DVD reads great on my pc. I have tried using a DVD

Unit Cleaner in the drive with no results. The DVD Unit is described as

follows:

I recently installed an updated Nav DVD. One of the warnings issued with the disc is, once a newer version of the DVD is installed and allowed load, you CANNOT use an older disc. A couple of things could have happened, someone inadvertantly installed a newer software version and than put back the original disc. This would give you the incompatibility. Or the Disc that came with the car is scratched (possibly before you took delivery of the truck) and is therefore unreadable. In either case, possibly purchasing (or being issued) a newer Nav disc might fix the problem once it updates your Nav software. Just a couple of ideas to think about.

Not really.

My car was delivered from the factory and nobody including me never touched the disk or whatever under passenger seat. I even never knew about the existence of DVD-computer there.

It started malfunction suddenly after 1.5 years of use.

Professional electronicians were right. The head of DVD-player doesn't touch a disk during play, so if nobody never eject the disk from there why must it suddenly malfunction ?

Today finally I have understood and proved that the problem is with computer, not disk. Finally I found another car of 2004, inserted his disk of the same version into mine, it doesn't play, then I inserted my disk into his computer and it plays it !!! That is my computer is broken after only 5,000 miles of use without any evident reason.

Not really.

My car was delivered from the factory and nobody including me never touched the disk or whatever under passenger seat. I even never knew about the existence of DVD-computer there.

It started malfunction suddenly after 1.5 years of use.

Professional electronicians were right. The head of DVD-player doesn't touch a disk during play, so if nobody never eject the disk from there why must it suddenly malfunction ?

Today finally I have understood and proved that the problem is with computer, not disk. Finally I found another car of 2004, inserted his disk of the same version into mine, it doesn't play, then I inserted my disk into his computer and it plays it !!! That is my computer is broken after only 5,000 miles of use without any evident reason.

I have had several CD players and one DVD player fail (regular TV types) because they could no longer read disks. The major cause of this is the laser no longer being aligned properly. This is even more critical with a software disk, as it can't just skip over the bad parts like with a movie.

Aren't you still under warenttee?

Jim,

As Silverlady pointed out, don't sweat the details, CPO or NEW your GX is covered. Don't take NO for an answer have the dealer FIX the problem...

er, that is unless you bought the GX from someone other than the dealer...

This is definately covered under warranty...

Good Luck!

-Alex