New To Cl Need Help For 1993 Ls 400 I Just Purchas

jaggfan6

Hi, First I am new to CL. Can't thank you all for all the helpful info/input for the decision making process in forums with the purchase of my 1993 LS 400 beauty. I have been searching for a well-maintained Ls 400. Always loved the older models. I found a 93 with 140,000 with all records from 2 miles. Got the price to 5,000 and then had my mechanic check out whom I trust. Found a small oil leak from bottom pan and he rec. that I change timing belt and water pump. I have verified this was done at 90k. Help with answers, as I don’t know why it should be changed again nor how that affects the oil leak. The quote to do the work is about $800 in which the owner obliged so my final purchased price was $4,200 and the only other two flaws were a stalling start new battery was just installed but sometimes the start is Lexus signature but not consistent (Help) and tachometer and speedometer sticking but odometer working. Ext and Int in ex condition otherwise, black beauty! Tapped on dash and it worked as suggested in one of the forums so now what?? Do the maintenance, get a second opinion?

So the 50k power pump and belt are fine, so dont change.

I have a nice 93 and the tachometer and speedometer stick also. You might have a lighting issue when its cold. They flicker when you turn them on until they warm up.

For 4200 I would buy. Maybe there is a seal or something leaking oil. I would get a 105 point inspection from LEXUS for $100 bucks. They know these cars inside out.

Cheers to LEXUS..

Hi, First I am new to CL. Can't thank you all for all the helpful info/input for the decision making process in forums with the purchase of my 1993 LS 400 beauty. I have been searching for a well-maintained Ls 400. Always loved the older models. I found a 93 with 140,000 with all records from 2 miles. Got the price to 5,000 and then had my mechanic check out whom I trust. Found a small oil leak from bottom pan and he rec. that I change timing belt and water pump. I have verified this was done at 90k. Help with answers, as I don’t know why it should be changed again nor how that affects the oil leak. The quote to do the work is about $800 in which the owner obliged so my final purchased price was $4,200 and the only other two flaws were a stalling start new battery was just installed but sometimes the start is Lexus signature but not consistent (Help) and tachometer and speedometer sticking but odometer working. Ext and Int in ex condition otherwise, black beauty! Tapped on dash and it worked as suggested in one of the forums so now what?? Do the maintenance, get a second opinion?

if you didnt tell him that the belt was changed b4 he checked it out then he probably just checked the mileage and rec. it be changed. either way do not do it again just get a new gasket for the oil pan and call it a day . make sure to check the condition of the tranny fluid