Engin Light

Less then a month ago I bought my ES300 with 134,000 miles on it

First week the car ran great

second week katrina stuck the gulf cost and here in florida we had a gas shortage so after driving around for half an hour looking for gas I finally found a place and I filled the car with gas.

Two days later the car shut off while at a stop light, I turned it back on and the car shut off and the engine light was on, so I started it again this time it stood on but when I hit the gas the car had no power and if I pressed the gas pedal to far down the car would shut off again so I had to slightly keep my foot on the gas so that it would run and slowly the car would pick up speed still with engin light on, then every now and then while I was trying to get home the check engin light would go off and the car would get its power back then it would start giving me problems all over again.

Next day I put fuel ingector cleaner in and dry gas thinking that maybe the gas had water in it, nothing after a drive around the block the car started acting up again same problem.

four days later I call my friend the mechanic and he changes the air filter, gas filter, and spark plugs, the car ran great again for two days then it started with the same problem.

Then we changed the Throttle position sensor, perfect the car ran perfect I went on a 450 mile road trip and nothing got back home parked the car and took it out the next day drove for about 50 miles still good got home parked it, two hours later I'm on my way to the store no more then a mile away and again the same problem only worse, now I cant even tap on the gas to get me home it just shuts off so I press the gas pedal all the way down start the car put it on drive and it shut off again, so I try it again this time I trow it to low gear and the car got me home slow but it got me home.

Now if I start the car it just shuts off and the engine light stays on my friend the mechanic thinks that it may be the computer cause he tried jumping the te1 and e1 terminals on the dignosis under the dash board to see if he could get the engine light to flash but noting happend, he also checked the ground and current going to the computer and says lets change it to make sure bt I think he is just going through the motions, I dont pay him for this just beers and parts.

I'm taking it back to the people I bought it from on friday so they can figure it out I mean its been less then a month, but I wanted to see what you guys thought it may be.

SOunds like you may have 2 problems compunding on each other.

Both are very common.

1 the MAF needs cleaning search under +iacv and/or +filament

it will give your engine bad readings causign it to not run right.

2 is the reason why it dies instantly may be a dirty iacv but more than likely goes back to the maf being dirty

what year are we talking? Because you are jumping terminals I am guessing that it is a 92 or 93?

also check the black accordian style hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body. Check for cracks and holes. They get brittle and can be break thus allowing more air than expected into the mix. Cheap to replace.

steviej