1991 Ls400 Maybe Transmission Problems

Gentral

Okay I searched thru to hopefully find someone/anyone who might have had or is having my same problem, but I didn't find anything.

I have a 1991 Silver LS400 with WELL over 180k. I am restoring it, because it belonged to my father, and after his passing is the only thing I have to hold on to that belonged to him. With all that said, my problem is this.

When I put the car in reverse, sometimes no matter how much gas I give it, it doesn't move. Other times it's fine. When I'm going from first to second, I get hesitation :censored: , like like it not getting any gas or I'm not pushing on the pedal. I took it to the dealer, but without looking at it, they suggest I take it to a Transmission place, because they don't fix transmissions only replace for alot of money.

My question is am I on the right path?

Do I need to replace the Transmission?

Around how much to replace the Transmission if so?

Okay I searched thru to hopefully find someone/anyone who might have had or is having my same problem, but I didn't find anything.

I have a 1991 Silver LS400 with WELL over 180k. I am restoring it, because it belonged to my father, and after his passing is the only thing I have to hold on to that belonged to him. With all that said, my problem is this.

When I put the car in reverse, sometimes no matter how much gas I give it, it doesn't move. Other times it's fine. When I'm going from first to second, I get hesitation  :censored: , like like it not getting any gas or I'm not pushing on the pedal. I took it to the dealer, but without looking at it, they suggest I take it to a Transmission place, because they don't fix transmissions only replace for alot of money.

My question is am I on the right path?

Do I need to replace the Transmission?

Around how much to replace the Transmission if so?

Welcome to the club.

What service history (tranny fluid changes) do you have for the vehicle? And has the car ever been in for tranny work before this? Any additional details would be of help. B)

:cheers:

welcome to the club, and sorry to hear about your dad. i salute you and your motivation to restore the car :cheers:

I would first start off with a transmission fluid flush at THE DEALER. One thing you have to understand is that these transmissions are designed for toyota fluid only. You don't want to skimp on this part. A full tranny flush is probably around $100. Make sure they're doing a "flush" and not a drain and fill, as that will only get about 2 quarts of the old out. I believe they hold around 7 quarts?? The fluid changing can make a substantial difference in the way the tranny operates. You wouldn't think it could be that much of a difference...I mean it's fluid, not metal parts....but it does! Start there first.......actually, have you checked the fluid already with the dipstick in the engine compartment? What color was the fluid? It needs to be bright red, as that is the color of the new stuff.

Second, there are some shifting points in these cars, solinoids in the transmission itself..aka..shifting point relays. Look up member Bicolini, do a search on his name, you'll see a recent thread about this. Before you blow the cool $2g's on a new tranny, try and see if it's just in the settings and operating environment of the gears themselves. These tranny's are FAMOUS for longevity! I'm talking 300k mile kind of mileage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the tranny flush. I'm not sure how well he kept up the car, but I have been working with a local mechanic that works on Lexus and Mercedes. I have read the thread from Bicolini, but didn't think it was the same problem I had, because the OD light doesn't come on.

gentral donot use the dealer to perform a tranny flush. all you needto do is get 3 gal. cartons. mark each ltr. and use lexls for directions and 8-9 ltrs of T4 tranny fluid. when i first got my ls all my friends thought my tranny was dying, slipping, blah, blah. after two fulid changes decided to flush the whole mess! now my tranny runs so strong. very easy