Cel/trac Off

shelly

I have a 97 ES300 with 126,000 miles and my CEL and Trac Off lights came on about a week ago. I went to AutoZone and got the following codes with the scanner: P440, 441, 446. It all has to do with evaporative emission system. I was told the only place that can fix this problem is the dealership. Before I go and spend my hard earned money, I was wondering if anyone had any info about what exactly is wrong with my car, is there an alternative to going to the dealership, and if I qualify for that extended warranty on the emission system (14 yrs, 150K miles).

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, as most females are, I'm automotively-challenged. :blink:

I already replaced the gas cap, but where is the gas cap gasket and how can I check if it's worn or leaking? Same goes for the charcoal canister, what is that and where is it underneath the hood so I can check the hoses?

Before I go and spend my hard earned money, I was wondering if anyone had any info about what exactly is wrong with my car, is there an alternative to going to the dealership, and if I qualify for that extended warranty on the emission system (14 yrs, 150K miles).

Thanks!!!

Why not call a couple of Lexus dealers (speak with the service manager) and ask them if any of these items woule be covered under the Emission system extended warranty? Ask them how much they will charge just for the diagnosis. B)

:cheers:

All of the new car fuel systems run continuously under a slight vacuum. If the vacuum is lost for some reason, gas cap is opened without refueling, the CEL will come on.

If the gas cap is opened and the fuel level in the tank rises, SOP, then the ECU ignores the temporary loss of vacuum.

If the gas cap being removed absent refueling the fault code should clear after a few city/hwy drive cycles.

Or you can disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so.