Bleeding Abs Box

I have bled my brakes, and do it every two years or so but on my `97 SC-300 I want to bleed the fluid from the ABS box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Since the ABS unit uses brake fluid and is in the brake system and since my brakes seem a little spongy I thought there might be a bubble or two of air in the abs. Bleeding the ABS might tighten up my brakes. Or is my logic flawed? If it isn`t , how do I do this? Thanks. Lawrence Benz

P.S. There is an electric motor which pumps brake fluid to the appropriate wheel, possibly I could acutate the motor while loostening the bleeder on the ABS box.

• 2 weeks later...

:blushing: Very simple, just hook up a vinyl hose (aquarium hose) to the bleeder screw and place the hose into a small container that has enough brake fluid to cover the other end of the hose.(Located under the red cover on the abs). Loosen the screw and start you engine. Shut off and close the bleeder.

You may have to do this several times. While you're at it you may as well bleed the accumulator located just forward of the Master Cylinder.

I have bled my brakes, and do it every two years or so but on my `97 SC-300 I want to bleed the fluid from the ABS box on the passenger side of the engine compartment.  Since the ABS unit uses brake fluid and is in the brake system and since my brakes seem a little spongy I thought there might be a bubble or two of air in the abs.  Bleeding the ABS might tighten up my brakes.  Or is my logic flawed?  If it isn`t , how do I do this?  Thanks.  Lawrence Benz 

P.S. There is an electric motor which pumps brake fluid to the appropriate wheel, possibly I could acutate the motor while loostening the bleeder on the ABS box.

• 3 weeks later...
I have bled my brakes, and do it every two years or so but on my `97 SC-300 I want to bleed the fluid from the ABS box on the passenger side of the engine compartment.  Since the ABS unit uses brake fluid and is in the brake system and since my brakes seem a little spongy I thought there might be a bubble or two of air in the abs.  Bleeding the ABS might tighten up my brakes.  Or is my logic flawed?  If it isn`t , how do I do this?  Thanks.  Lawrence Benz 

Thank you for your input. I will try the procedure soon. Lawrence Benz