Check Engine Light

First off my car is a 1994 GS300 with 121,xxx. I just bought it from a dealership july 22 `05. I've never had issues with it until yesterday. One of my friends just got back into town from being away for a while and we had to go pick his car up in Bellevue. He used to own a Navigator and a BMW and both of those cars were in great shape so when he asked to drive mine I hesitated but finally gave in. Before we hit the freeway he asked if I ever tested it out. I said ''what do you mean" then he goes "take it to redline or anything". I said no and that I wanted to change the spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, valve cover gasket and distributor O-ring before I tried anything close to that.

Well getting on the freeway He put it into drive 2 and gave it a good amount of throttle. We probably hit 5-51/2 K and were only in that rpm range for about 2-3 seconds. So he let off and I put it into overdrive. The rest of the drive was fine. We then stopped at a 7-11 and the hill we parked on was really steep. I didnt notice until after I got back into the car that the parking brake wasn't applied and the "TRAC" indicator light in the gauges then came on. After 7-11 we proceeded to pick up his car and had no problems. After we picked it up, we headed back to our friends house where I stayed for about an hour. Then I was almost home and stopped at a light when my car almost died and I noticed the "TRAC" light was back on and shortly after that came on, the check engine light came on for about 5-10 seconds then turned off. When I got home, I turned the car off, let it sit for a minute, then turned it back on and neither "TRAC" or the check engine light came back on. If something was wrong with my car would the check engine light stay on, or just turn on for a little bit and turn off. This happened on my old supra twice but I never ran into any problems except the heater core going out before I sold it.

Im going to have the codes checked later today, but until then, assuming it's the 02 sensor or the EGT, is it safe to drive? Also just a quick Q, 94 GS300 would be OBD II right?

Safe to drive, yes. OBDII, no. OBDII was not mandated until 1996 and that is the year the GSxxx got it.