Hydrogen Cars

LexKid630

quote: Let's face it - most of us have not been personally affected by the war in any way shape or form and it's much easier to tolerate it when we can just sit back and watch the death toll numbers on our plasma TVs.

your not affected by the war??? speak for yourself because you bet im affected by the war...that money could have gone somewhere more important...i agree with everything else you said...you even said it your self we WILL be affected by the war since china will own us in 10 years..does that not affect you??

...that money could have gone somewhere more important...i agree with everything else you said...you even said it your self we WILL be affected by the war since china will own us in 10  years..does that not affect you??

In hindsight I suppose that it could probably be argued that gas prices are up as a result of the war, but there are also some other factors involved like refining capacity that are not related to the war.

I agree that that money could be spent better somewhere else, but we probably wouldn't be spending it all were it not for the war. Currently the war budget money is being borrowed against the Federal deficit and not coming out of any spending programs or entitlements, etc. currently in place. The government is cuting taxes when it should be raising them to pay for this thing (so much for the Republican's claim of "fiscal responsibility"). Congress has yet to cut spending anywhere to pay for the war (look at all of the Pork in the highway bill that was just passed). I believe that they call it a supplemental spending bill or something to that extent that pays for the war. I highly doubt that the House of Reps would have allowed any of that supplemental money to be borrowed for other purposes had we not been at war, so with respect to budget cuts and federal spending I don't think that we have been affected (yet).

The issue with China won't affect us for some years to come. I was referring to making financial/consumption sacrifices for the war effort. I still use the same amount of gas and electricity, still buy the same amount of food, etc. I was not referring to loved ones serving in Iraq or ones that have died there.

I don't mean that in a bad way and if more people were being afected then there would probably be more of an effort to get our troops home (which would be a good thing). That was one of my points - we're not giving up much in the short term to pay for the long term. We should be saving and making cuts now so that we won't be affected as much in the future. When it comes out of our pockets we are more apt to complain and if that were the case then I think people would pay more attention to what is going on over there and would be begin to question our motives and plans instead of just accepting whatever the Bush administration tells us we should think.