Radio Lightd Out

gmantob

• 5 months later...

Greetings fellow mechanically inclined LS400 owners. First, let me thank you for such a great knowledge base devoted to these fantastic cars. It has helped me immeasurably.

Now, on to this intermittant light issue... My '95 lost the radio lights a couple years ago, and I have been exploring the best fix. The dealer's answer is to punt, and install a new radio! :censored: Screw that...This should be a cheap fix. Here's the original thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...%20lights&st=15

As an interconnection & electronics packaging "expert," I can say not everyone has the same failure modes from the threads. If you are loosing some of the lights, there are bulbs (or circuit segments) failing. If ALL the lights are failing simultaniously, it's a power circuit problem well upstream. (This is my car's problem, where all lights where flickering, until they all just quit working. The audio & LCD are fine, it's just the backlighting that's dead.)

The discussion that included a re-soldering of a resistor makes the most sense, because the intense heat generated by these head units could cause a cold solder joint, or poor solder joint to release/crack with vibration. This would create this exact effect. (It can't get hot enough to de-solder itself, so this reflects a solder quality or design problem IMO.)

Question: Where are these resistors located, and what type are they...through hole? If so, I'll pull my radio & do this re-solder job with photos. With luck (& a Bishop's blessing) it may work.

Many thanks,

Dave

i have a 1993 LS 400  my radio lights on  on preset 5,6 are out can the replace and how and what is the blub part #:blushing:

nobody knows how to fix this problem

Greetings fellow mechanically inclined LS400 owners. First, let me thank you for such a great knowledge base devoted to these fantastic cars. It has helped me immeasurably.

Now, on to this intermittant light issue... My '95 lost the radio lights a couple years ago, and I have been exploring the best fix. The dealer's answer is to punt, and install a new radio! :censored: Screw that...This should be a cheap fix. Here's the original thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...%20lights&st=15

As an interconnection & electronics packaging "expert," I can say not everyone has the same failure modes from the threads. If you are loosing some of the lights, there are bulbs (or circuit segments) failing. If ALL the lights are failing simultaniously, it's a power circuit problem well upstream. (This is my car's problem, where all lights where flickering, until they all just quit working. The audio & LCD are fine, it's just the backlighting that's dead.)

The discussion that included a re-soldering of a resistor makes the most sense, because the intense heat generated by these head units could cause a cold solder joint, or poor solder joint to release/crack with vibration. This would create this exact effect. (It can't get hot enough to de-solder itself, so this reflects a solder quality or design problem IMO.)

Question: Where are these resistors located, and what type are they...through hole? If so, I'll pull my radio & do this re-solder job with photos. With luck (& a Bishop's blessing) it may work.

Many thanks,

Dave

i have a 1993 LS 400  my radio lights on  on preset 5,6 are out can the replace and how and what is the blub part #:blushing:

I have the same problem with my 93 LS. The radio and the LCD for the radio are fine, and I assume that my climate control LCD would work if it weren't blacked out (need to talk to Mikado)....I did read in one thread last night that the instrument cluster panel malfunction is related to the radio/climate illumination lights not working (don't remember which discussion i read it in). Is your cluster bad too? Mine is. Hopefully someone will reply with some know-how.

• 1 year later...

Now, on to this intermittant light issue... My '95 lost the radio lights a couple years ago, and I have been exploring the best fix. The dealer's answer is to punt, and install a new radio! :censored: Screw that...This should be a cheap fix. Here's the original thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ights&st=15

Many thanks,

Dave

i have a 1993 LS 400 my radio lights on on preset 5,6 are out can the replace and how and what is the blub part #:blushing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same problem with my 93 LS. The radio and the LCD for the radio are fine, and I assume that my climate control LCD would work if it weren't blacked out (need to talk to Mikado)....I did read in one thread last night that the instrument cluster panel malfunction is related to the radio/climate illumination lights not working (don't remember which discussion i read it in). Is your cluster bad too? Mine is. Hopefully someone will reply with some know-how.

Ok here is whats happening to your back light. Yes it is a loose resistor that needs to be re-connected, Resistor is on your primary circuit board and is numbered R963 and R964 they are tiny rectangles located along one of the edges of the PCB. This should fix your problem with your back light.

Now, on to this intermittant light issue... My '95 lost the radio lights a couple years ago, and I have been exploring the best fix. The dealer's answer is to punt, and install a new radio! :censored: Screw that...This should be a cheap fix. Here's the original thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ights&st=15

Many thanks,

Dave

i have a 1993 LS 400 my radio lights on on preset 5,6 are out can the replace and how and what is the blub part #:blushing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok here is whats happening to your back light. Yes it is a loose resistor that needs to be re-connected, Resistor is on your primary circuit board and is numbered R963 and R964 they are tiny rectangles located along one of the edges of the PCB. This should fix your problem with your back light.

Many thanks,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is the primary circut board located ?

Many thanks,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is the primary circut board located ?

Ok you have to take the radio apart. Take the face off and then youll see two circuit boards. The first is above the tape deck assembly. Pull the first circuit board up after you removed the side screw. then take the tape deck out. There are four screws holding in the tape deck. remove the screws and pull the tape deck up and out. Now you have the primary control board exposed. YOu can just pull this board right out of the metal encasing. The numbers for the resistors are small and the risistors themselves are small as well but if you look close along the edge of the board on the same side as to where the wiring harness plugs in, youll see the two resistors that are triangular and labeled 1AO. Most common porblem is that the welds holding these resistors in place have come loose and cracked over time. Resoder and you should be good to go., Good Luck