Best New Rx400h Deal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the SF Bay area. I got $4,000 off the sticker in late October plus another $750 off because I received a $750 rebate certificate from Lexus for attending their "Taste of Lexus" event back in the summer. Did not require hard negotiating at all.

sloopG

just wanted to revive this thread, whats everyone paying these days?

4000 off sticker

Very interesting. I got one w/~3100 off sticker in Mid December. S.F Bay Area. Used a combination of

Costco discount, documentation, and some moderate negotiation.

Wow! Some of you got some really good deals. In our area, they aren't discounting them nearly that much. The prices around here on good used ones with low/reasonable mileage were SO high we decided to buy new. In our area, with a qualifying hybrid, we get to use the HOV lanes for commuting (with just the driver), that definitely has an impact on demand. It cuts down my wife's commute time dramatically. She says that you wouldn't believe the number of Prius's she sees every day.

Wow! Some of you got some really good deals. In our area, they aren't discounting them nearly that much. The prices around here on good used ones with low/reasonable mileage were SO high we decided to buy new. In our area, with a qualifying hybrid, we get to use the HOV lanes for commuting (with just the driver), that definitely has an impact on demand. It cuts down my wife's commute time dramatically. She says that you wouldn't believe the number of Prius's she sees every day.

so what was the price? and where?

VA and MD lexus dealers will quote about 3-4k off sticker over email. It seems that nearly ALL the 400hs in NoVa sticker at right around 49.9k (with nav, leather, premium plus etc. -- no Mark Lev or laser cruise). Pohanka will do 3.5k off sticker; other Lexus dealers, especially the ones near baltimore (Len Stoler, Towson) will do a little (500-1.5k) lower.

Keep in mind, even at some Lexus dealers, they are still a car dealer, and they still try to rip you off any way possible. Trust nothing they tell you orally and make them put in writing anything that is important to you. When you buy they ask you to sign 500 pieces of paper about a bunch of crap about refusing paint protection junk. don't sign any of it. Just sign the sale document, the registration application, the stuff you have to sign. IF they complain when you refuse just get up and walk. They don't need all the paperwork which is just to try to trick you into buying a bunch of crap or getting their financing.

They will also pull your credit report without making it clear that that is what they are doing and try to get you their financing even when you tell them you are paying cash. Even at Lexus the car dealers still can't help themselves from being scummy.

I had a much better experience when I bought my prius from Koons -- they knew I was no nonsense and didn't try to sell a bunch of crap and waste my time or theirs.

Pohanka lexus could learn quite a bit from koons toyota about how to sell a car and how to respect their customers. Pohanka wasted my time to try to scam a few extra hundred and I ended up walking and they lost a sale. Len Stoler was a little cheaper and did a much better job not wasting my time with scams and more than made up for the time to drive out there.

so what was the price? and where?

VA and MD lexus dealers will quote about 3-4k off sticker over email. It seems that nearly ALL the 400hs in NoVa sticker at right around 49.9k (with nav, leather, premium plus etc. -- no Mark Lev or laser cruise). Pohanka will do 3.5k off sticker; other Lexus dealers, especially the ones near baltimore (Len Stoler, Towson) will do a little (500-1.5k) lower.

Keep in mind, even at some Lexus dealers, they are still a car dealer, and they still try to rip you off any way possible. Trust nothing they tell you orally and make them put in writing anything that is important to you. When you buy they ask you to sign 500 pieces of paper about a bunch of crap about refusing paint protection junk. don't sign any of it. Just sign the sale document, the registration application, the stuff you have to sign. IF they complain when you refuse just get up and walk. They don't need all the paperwork which is just to try to trick you into buying a bunch of crap or getting their financing.

They will also pull your credit report without making it clear that that is what they are doing and try to get you their financing even when you tell them you are paying cash. Even at Lexus the car dealers still can't help themselves from being scummy.

I had a much better experience when I bought my prius from Koons -- they knew I was no nonsense and didn't try to sell a bunch of crap and waste my time or theirs.

Pohanka lexus could learn quite a bit from koons toyota about how to sell a car and how to respect their customers. Pohanka wasted my time to try to scam a few extra hundred and I ended up walking and they lost a sale. Len Stoler was a little cheaper and did a much better job not wasting my time with scams and more than made up for the time to drive out there.

Yup! You got that right.

I actually had a fairly positive buying experience up until the time it came to finish paperwork.

I then got shuffled off to "Finance" to get the lecture about extended warranties paint protection ect.

He tried all angles like telling me that the NAV system display alone costs $5k to replace, the costs

of certain repairs, ect. Even after I told him I never buy the dealer added packs he continues with

the paint sealant with which one never has to wax the car for the life of the vehicle (yeah, right...).

You should have seen the look on his face when I said that I was starting to doubt the Lexus reliability

if I needed all these packages and might reconsider the purchace.

It's amazing how many do fall for that stuff. In this case if I bought it all I would have added nearly

$10K to the price!

The only one that caught my eye and I had to think about a bit was a package that was unique to

this dealer for $1400 called Tires for Life. When the wear gets to 2/32 you get a new set of tires

for the life of the vehicle. I decided to pass as I would be locked into tires of their choosing and

sometimes like to replace tires before that level of wear for other reasons.

/Steve

I got mine at Lindsay. Did not get a whole lot off sticker but they did OK on my trade so that sweetened the deal a bit. They didn't have a lot of inventory at the time and it was a real busy time for them (LOT of shoppers/buyers there the day we bought). They also had our favored color combo ready for delivery that day. I probably could have shopped it more and tried to drive a harder bargain but I had good recommendations on their dealership and not-so-good recommendations on the dealer closest to us. It will also be serviced at Lindsay as they are the most convenient to my wife's office.

The finance person did offer us financing packages (we're cash buyers) and extended warranties but it was not a hard sell.

not-so-good recommendations on the dealer closest to us.

Let me guess . . . pohanka?

Did not get a whole lot off sticker but they did OK on my trade so that sweetened the deal a bit.

That may be common when there is a trade in. Once I negotiated a good price on a new acura, then we negotiated a good price on my trade in. But when they did the paperwork, they raised the price on the Acura and raised the price on my trade in by the same amount so that it looked like they sold the new acura at full sticker. (this was in a jurisdiction that at the time only charged sales tax on the price difference -- I think some places don't do that anymore so i only cared about the difference and not the listed sales price).

not-so-good recommendations on the dealer closest to us.

Let me guess . . . pohanka?

Did not get a whole lot off sticker but they did OK on my trade so that sweetened the deal a bit.

That may be common when there is a trade in. Once I negotiated a good price on a new acura, then we negotiated a good price on my trade in. But when they did the paperwork, they raised the price on the Acura and raised the price on my trade in by the same amount so that it looked like they sold the new acura at full sticker. (this was in a jurisdiction that at the time only charged sales tax on the price difference -- I think some places don't do that anymore so i only cared about the difference and not the listed sales price).

A good buddy who's had a couple of Lexus's won't deal with Pohanka and he is way closer to them than Lindsay. I heard the same from a couple of other people who are closer to Pohanka than Lindsay. Lindsay is also a better option for service for us, the wife can drop it there and they'll take her to the Metro and it's a quick ride to her office. I also like buying a car where it will be serviced, I think it gives me at least a little more leverage.

Unfortunately, in VA, you pay sales tax based on purchase price. I think it used to be based on the purchase/trade difference, but no more.

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the SF Bay area. I got $4,000 off the sticker in late October plus another $750 off because I received a $750 rebate certificate from Lexus for attending their "Taste of Lexus" event back in the summer. Did not require hard negotiating at all.

sloopG

Which dealership did you go through? I went today and the salesman told me that all of the RX400 hybrids he has sold were for sticker or $500 off sticker, and after 2 hours of back and forth negotiation, I got him down to $3,000 off sticker. There is a shortage in the Bay Area (at least the South Bay) and they won't go lower than the $3,000 off. There were 3 people behind me trying to buy the car but I had it reserved first.

just wanted to revive this thread, whats everyone paying these days?

I just paid $500 over invoice (4915 off of MSRP) for a new '08 400h FWD. The car is fabulous - one of the best I've ever driven/owned. Amongst other items, I got the nav system with the Mark Levinson sound. The car is nearly loaded up.

1st tank I got 27.4 mpg on the energy page. It isn't shy when you step on the pedal either. Its very quick especially when accelerating at highway speeds.

Did I say, "I love it"? :cheers:

Can you please share which dealership you bought your vehicle from? Thanks.

I'm in the process of researching the vehicle and prices. Still deciding on FWD vs AWD and some options. Don't know if $500 over invoice is realistic for the AWDs in SoCal. Also, I wish more were produced without the wood trim.

Moeronn,

I just checked in to see what was new when I saw your request. I leased my 400h from Crown Lexus in Ontario, CA. Its off the 15 frwy at Jurupa. Good luck.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We paid 8K off MSRP for our 2008 and 3K off of the Invoice. I think this is mostly due to bad car market right now and it is year end... We shopped around between NYC and NJ... and found that NJ has way better deal than in NYC. To be expected...

• 2 months later...
We paid 8K off MSRP for our 2008 and 3K off of the Invoice. I think this is mostly due to bad car market right now and it is year end... We shopped around between NYC and NJ... and found that NJ has way better deal than in NYC. To be expected...

Wow! We're currently in the market for a new '08 RX400h, also living in North Jersey. Do you mind mentioning which dealership you used for your purchase? Thanks.

Ended up at Tri-County in Totowa, New Jersey.

MSRP near 51k, out the door at 39,700 at end of February (and they threw in the all-weather mats--$109 usually) + tax/registration/usual NJ DMV fees.

Would've like to split the referral fee! Thanks for making the kind offer.