Automatic Door Unlooking

Currently all my door remain locked when I put the shifter into park. On page 45 of the owners manual, it says that I can program all the doors to open when I place the shifter into "Park". I have tried this procedure many times, but the doors will not re-program. Has anyone sucessfully re-programmed there locks by the method on page 45?

I know that I can go to the dealer and have him program it with his computer interface, but that is a hassle. I want to do it myself. Is the manual wrong?

Currently all my door  remain locked when I put the shifter into park. On page 45 of the owners manual, it says that I can program all the doors to open when I place the shifter into "Park". I have tried this procedure many times, but the doors will not re-program. Has anyone sucessfully re-programmed there locks by the method on page 45?

I know that I can go to the dealer and have him program it with his computer interface, but that is a hassle. I want to do it myself. Is the manual wrong?

Lucca, don't despair. You need to try again. I did one thing which maybe you didn't do.

First, thing I did was get in the car, close the door and set the emergency brake. Next, turn the key to the ON position (I did NOT start the car.) Next, because the car is already in "P", I pressed the drivers door 'unlock' and held it 'one, uh, two, uh, three, uh, four, uh, five, uh, six, uh' and then released it (the manual says to hold it for at least 5 seconds.) (The previous was done within 10 seconds of turning the key to the 'ON' position.) The doors locked and then unlocked. Voila, it was set! I then released the emergency brake. I tested it by turning off the ignition, then started the car. I drove it until the doors locked (exceeded 12 mph). Next, I stopped and put the lever into "P" and all the doors unlocked. I then reset the setting by repeating the process and it worked again. I didn't try the procedure without setting the emergency brake. I will say that the first time I tried it, I failed and that was because I thought I needed to 'move the lever to "P"' and therefore moved it to "N" and then back to 'P' and then held the 'unlock' for 5 seconds.

NOW let me tell you that I would NEVER select that option for security reasons. If my family were in danger, they'd probably put the car in park and want the doors to remain locked until they could determine which door(s) needed to be unlocked to exit to safety.

Conclusion, the manual specified procedures do work!

Roland B :)

Currently all my door  remain locked when I put the shifter into park. On page 45 of the owners manual, it says that I can program all the doors to open when I place the shifter into "Park". I have tried this procedure many times, but the doors will not re-program. Has anyone sucessfully re-programmed there locks by the method on page 45?

I am not aware that you can re-program your door locks, but during my 5000 mile service I had the dealer program all doors to unlock when shifting into park. I also had them re-program so that none of the doors lock when shifting into drive. You get one free re-programing of several options so decide ahead of time what you want changed.

I am not aware that you can re-program your door locks, but during my 5000 mile service I had the dealer program all doors to unlock when shifting into park. I also had them re-program so that none of the doors lock when shifting into drive. You get one free re-programing of several options so decide ahead of time what you want changed.

Rex...

There are a lot of people who don't know what they want UNTIL they TRY an option and this is probably why Lexus makes provisions for you to change some of these yourself and then try other options. It wasn't until I learned how to change it myself and set my doors to 'lock after getting up to about 12 mph speed' that I confirmed this was what I wanted. ( I got tired of backing out of the garage and then having to 'unlock the doors' to let my wife in and then relocking them!) The dealership doesn't need to get involved if we read the manual.

Roland

• 2 weeks later...