Help! Ebay Remote 4 Lx450 -how To Reprogram?

littleroo

Ok, have mercy on a technologically challenged chick, please!

I downloaded the directions from the other thread about reprogramming a remote (which I bought off Ebay, same FCC ID, etc). But what the heck is the ECU and where the heck is it?

I tried the ON position to make the LED come on (which happens with my orig dying remote) but nothing happens with the new remote. Going back and re-reading the alarm manual, it appears Im supposed to push a button on this 'ECU' that I have no clue where/what it is. :censored:

Can anyone spell out what I'm supposed to do? My LX450 is a 97, if that makes a difference on the location of the 'ECU'. My dealer says my chip is going bad on my remote, but they wanted $250 for a new one, plus $80 to reprogram it. I'm not stupid, I know I can reprogram myself, but don't know where the alarm brain is on my vehicle.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

TIA - Roo

Ok, have mercy on a technologically challenged chick, please!

I downloaded the directions from the other thread about reprogramming a remote (which I bought off Ebay, same FCC ID, etc).  But what the heck is the ECU and where the heck is it?

I tried the ON position to make the LED come on (which happens with my orig dying remote) but nothing happens with the new remote.  Going back and re-reading the alarm manual, it appears Im supposed to push a button on this 'ECU' that I have no clue where/what it is. :censored:

Can anyone spell out what I'm supposed to do?  My LX450 is a 97, if that makes a difference on the location of the 'ECU'.  My dealer says my chip is going bad on my remote, but they wanted $250 for a new one, plus $80 to reprogram it.  I'm not stupid, I know I can reprogram myself, but don't know where the alarm brain is on my vehicle.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller, Bueller?

TIA - Roo

Follow this link. It will totally hook you up on how to deal with resetting your remote. The ECU is under the driver's seat. Hope this helps.

Rob B)

http://www.4runners.org/images/rs3000/4RAlarm%20Manual.pdf

Follow this link. It will totally hook you up on how to deal with resetting your remote. The ECU is under the driver's seat. Hope this helps.

Rob B)

http://www.4runners.org/images/rs3000/4RAlarm%20Manual.pdf

Hey, Rob - Thanks for the link. Much easier to read than the SLEEOffroad on, but I think p. 23 must have the codes for reprogramming a new remote. It's blank and p. 24 give instructions for removing all remotes from the ECU. Maybe I can go back and get that page from the other manual.

So, the ECU is about as big as a deck of cards and is under my driver's seat. Last time I looked, I couldn't reach/see much of anything. Is the 1997 model supposed to have much clearance under there? There's a big black motor (I assume for the power seat) and a carpeted metal hill! :huh:

Sorry to ask the obvious questions, but I just can't find the dang ECU! Thanks!

Update: Yea! I found the box under my seat and the green dot to reset the ECU, so my new remote works! I can unlock/lock my LX450 without having major contortions and petitions to the Remote Gods!

HOWEVER, neither of my remotes 'chirp'. My old one used to, and I though the Piezo thing controlled the chirping of the remote. Apparently, Piezo controls a small 'chirp' (more like a 'tweet' if you ask me) from behind the steering wheel of the car.

My old remote used to chirp once or twice for lock/unlock, loudly from what I recall sounded like under the hood? How do I turn this feature back on? Are there instructions for this? The only 'chirping' references I could find related to Piezo, which I performed, but it's not the big chirp I'm looking for.

Thanks again Rob for posting the orignal reply w/ the Toyota manual!

Shelley