Help! My Amp Has Gone Bad!

Can I add an aftermarket amp to my stock system? I think my amp has gone bad or is going bad. If I can add an aftermarket amp, how do I do it? I am going to do this myself. Please help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 93 GS300 and had problems with my amp also, but with this generation, you may want to make sure the trunk is not leaking. If I'm not mistaken, your amp sits on the floor of the trunk and when it rains, the amp has problems. This may not be the case with your amp, but I wouldn't want you to buy a new amp just to be water damaged also. Just something to consider.

If you decide going aftermarket is what u want to do, make sure you buy a 5 channel amp. all this has been covered in this forum before, if u search u would find it, im gonna give u what i remember. u can buy and aftermarket amp and place it somewhere else in the trunk it doesnt have to be where the stock amp was located. It has to be a 5 channel amp to run the sub, of course if you want to upgrade the sub you would need a bigger amp to push the sub, but thats a totally different story. since i suppose u are keeping the factory head unit, you can just work off the RCA off the stock amp. It pretty easy after u run the power wire from the battery to the trunk. Hopefully someone that knows more will chime in, this is the extent of my knowledge, i can help u out to hook it up, but u will have to wires figured out and run already. sorry i cant help u more

If you decide going aftermarket is what u want to do, make sure you buy a 5 channel amp. all this has been covered in this forum before, if u search u would find it, im gonna give u what i remember. u can buy and aftermarket amp and place it somewhere else in the trunk it doesnt have to be where the stock amp was located. It has to be a 5 channel amp to run the sub, of course if you want to upgrade the sub you would need a bigger amp to push the sub, but thats a totally different story. since i suppose u are keeping the factory head unit, you can just work off the RCA off the stock amp. It pretty easy after u run the power wire from the battery to the trunk. Hopefully someone that knows more will chime in, this is the extent of my knowledge, i can help u out to hook it up, but u will have to wires figured out and run already. sorry i cant help u more

Thanks, abear. Can anyone else chime in? It seems pretty easy so far.

Can I add an aftermarket amp to my stock system?  I think my amp has gone bad or is going bad.  If I can add an aftermarket amp, how do I do it?  I am going to do this myself.  Please help.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

First thing first, check how many ohms the factory speakers are. Cuz if theyre not 4 ohm, which most factory amplified systems aren't. Why that matters is if you put a amp that's 4 ohms onto a speaker that's 8 ohms it is bad on both the amp and speaker, so you may end up relacing both of them again. When I was an installer and we had customers come in with amplified sytstems wanting a 4 of 5 channel amp. I always told them to replace the speakers and cut em a deal if they do it all at once.It's easier on you and the installer because it can all be done in a timely fashion by pros. But if you just replace just the amp and then the speakers go bad, then you have to pay full price and will have downtime again. And I can alomst guarantee you will be charged a nice premium for the rewiring of the speakers (Installers hate rewires.) The only car I can remember that is an acception to this is the 300zx from the 90's with the bose system. We could rewire the speaker down to 4 ohms and It would only take us about an hour and a half. Yeah newer amplified systems sound nice but when the amp takes a dump...it gets costly. My 2 centz.

Can I add an aftermarket amp to my stock system?  I think my amp has gone bad or is going bad.  If I can add an aftermarket amp, how do I do it?  I am going to do this myself.  Please help.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

First thing first, check how many ohms the factory speakers are. Cuz if theyre not 4 ohm, which most factory amplified systems aren't. Why that matters is if you put a amp that's 4 ohms onto a speaker that's 8 ohms it is bad on both the amp and speaker, so you may end up relacing both of them again. When I was an installer and we had customers come in with amplified sytstems wanting a 4 of 5 channel amp. I always told them to replace the speakers and cut em a deal if they do it all at once.It's easier on you and the installer because it can all be done in a timely fashion by pros. But if you just replace just the amp and then the speakers go bad, then you have to pay full price and will have downtime again. And I can alomst guarantee you will be charged a nice premium for the rewiring of the speakers (Installers hate rewires.) The only car I can remember that is an acception to this is the 300zx from the 90's with the bose system. We could rewire the speaker down to 4 ohms and It would only take us about an hour and a half. Yeah newer amplified systems sound nice but when the amp takes a dump...it gets costly. My 2 centz.

WOW! You really should have invested the time in attending an MECP class <_<