Help! Ac Stopped Working Out Of Nowhere

My AC has worked perfectly fine since I got the car like a month ago.... I drove it a few days ago and the AC was working... and the car had been parked in front of my house since then... and today I get into the car, and the AC doesn't turn on... none of the buttons do anything when I press them... the display is blank, the buttons don't light up... nothing happens. The radio works fine and the display is showing everything fine... but right above it the AC display is just blank and it just wont work. What could have caused this? Any lil things I can do myself to try and fix this???

also... the cigarette lighter thing... that doesnt work either... and that worked a few days ago as well... i would charge my fone in the car and today that didnt work either... i think my little sister got a penny stuck in there and used a pen to take the penny out. do i have to get a new one of those?

Sounds like all you need to do is replace the fuse for the cigarette lighter.

Suprisingly enough, the AC control panel is powered with the same fuse.

Make sure that penny is out of there, then replace your fuse and you will be good to go. That fuse is located in the driver's footwell area on the left side.

If you cannot find it, let me know.

Tom

I just checked the owner's manual... and it has this info for the fuses

No.2 = HTR = 10 ampere = air conditioner systerm, rear window defogger

No.10 = CIG=15 ampere= cigarette lighter, theft deterrent system, shift lock system, SRS airbag system, instrument panel lights

Should I replace both of those fuses?

you were right! that fuse was blown and i replaced it and now the AC is working again. thanx a lot man.

BUT the weird thing is that the cigarette lighter still doesnt work... i think that has to do with the penny being in there and using the pen to get it out.... probably messed it up somehow.... is that easily replaceable?

Yes, it is pretty easy to replace, but how handy are you?

Do you have a volt meter?

You could test it to see if it is getting power at all.

It may just be that something is a little out of place and needs pushed back into place.

Do you see damage down inside the lighter? Do you have the "pop up" part of the lighter? If you do, stick it in and see if it heats up.

Tom

i do have the popup part of the lighter and no it doesnt heat up. and when i put my fone charger in there it doesnt work either. and its not the fuse cuz i just changed that and it made the AC work again.

so it has to be the lighter itself.

i dont have a volt meter, and im not very handy. when i look inside i dont really see any damage but once again... there was a penny stuck in there and i used a pen to take it out. maybe thats how i messed it up. so my guess is i would probably need to replace the metal part on the inside of that. i hope this wont cost much although its not really that big of a deal. i dont smoke anyways but i just dont like things not working.