Problems With Tilt Steering Wheel. Help!

MzLexus

Hi all. Not only am I new to the forum, I'm also the new owner of a 1992 SC400. The car did not have a manual (previous owner lost it), so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to lower the steering wheel. It's set too high and it's hard for me to see over it. The Automatic Telescopic tilt doesnt work (previous owner siad that it's missing the part that allows it move automatically when you start the car) so I'm left trying to figure out how to move it into a lower more comfortable position (closer to my lap). I tried using the up/down/left/right adjuster on the left side of the steering wheel, but it won't go down. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I also have an 1992 SC400 with a similar problem except mine is intermittent. According to my factory service manual the missing tilt & telescoping missing ECU is located somewhere near the steering column under the dasboard. If you remove the plastic cover under the stearing column you will more than likely see two connectors that are hanging loose. They are designated T10&T11 on the schematic. If you don't see them then it's possible that the ECU is still there and hooked up but may be defective. If the ECU module is there you may want a qualified repair person to troubleshoot it first. There is one motor used for the tilt motor and the ECU merely reverses polarity for up and down. This has to be confirmed before you purchase an ECU modular. It's just possible that the motor is bad itself.

I had a similar problem. Does it move at all? Can you hear the motor running? If so, it's a pretty easy fix. Check the link.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=4237&hl=

I used rubber washers. The type used for a garden hose. One on each side of the gear.

Thanks guys for the great instructions. I have never taken anything apart to fix like this post suggests, but with the clear instructions and pictures, I was able to fix mine also. I used the rubber washer also.

My dealer told me I would have to replace the motor. I am not sure what it would cost but it would not be cheap. Instead I spent about 45 min of my time and I back in business

• 1 year later...

I had a similar problem. Does it move at all? Can you hear the motor running? If so, it's a pretty easy fix. Check the link.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ic=4237&hl=

I used rubber washers. The type used for a garden hose. One on each side of the gear.

you're the man. I used the link you provided and it worked great. I used a metal washer. Took about 30 minutes. The hardest thing for me was getting the plastic steering column cover off. I found there was a 3rd screw right behind the steering wheel, so you had to turn the wheel hard to the left then you could see the screw.

Probably saved me hundreds as I was about to take it to the Lexus dealer last week.