Sirius Radio Acting Up In New Es330

Hi all - I'm the owner of a 4 day old 2005 ES330 and have been listening to the preview Sirius programming (the car came with the Sirius unit installed). Unfortunately I hit a problem today:

The scenario - driving home this evening listening to a rock station I notice that the signal is cutting out a lot because I'm driving under a lot of trees. This may or may not be related.

All of a sudden the radio turns off - no displays of anything on the LCD. Its like something just turned the whole audio system off.

When I turn it back on I cannot select any SAT1,2,3 - only AM or FM1,2. However the last programming is still playing through the speakers. If I tune to any AM or FM station I hear both - the radio station as well as the sirius rock station coming through the speakers! There's no way I can turn off the Sirius radio programming now.

Very strange. Obviously since its just a 4 day old car I'm going to ask Lexus to fix it (I'm taking it anyway tomorrow to get the personalization done) but I figured I'd ask on this forum to see if anyone else has seen similar problems and what they did about it.

VXG.

Hi all - I'm the owner of a 4 day old 2005 ES330 and have been listening to the preview Sirius programming (the car came with the Sirius unit installed).  Unfortunately I hit a problem today:

The scenario - driving home this evening listening to a rock station I notice that the signal is cutting out a lot because I'm driving under a lot of trees.  This may or may not be related.

All of a sudden the radio turns off - no displays of anything on the LCD.  Its like something just turned the whole audio system off.

When I turn it back on I cannot select any SAT1,2,3 - only AM or FM1,2.  However the last programming is still playing through the speakers.  If I tune to any AM or FM station I hear both - the radio station as well as the sirius rock station coming through the speakers!  There's no way I can turn off the Sirius radio programming now.

Very strange.  Obviously since its just a 4 day old car I'm going to ask Lexus to fix it (I'm taking it anyway tomorrow to get the personalization done) but I figured I'd ask on this forum to see if anyone else has seen similar problems and what they did about it.

VXG.

You don't say where you're living but, in Atlanta, in a Lexus dealer installed LS430 (new as of 2-days ago), I have the same problems. Not only trees, but also storm clouds. Apparently, unlike XM, Sirius doesn't have a complimentary RF signal to deal with satellite drop outs :angry:

I live in Western WA state (Bellevue, Seattle area) & I just read your other post. I understand it cuting out in tunnels & under trees but what about it playing in the background when I try to listen to FM, AM or even a CD?

I took it in to the dealer today to try to diagnose the problem but they were unable to reproduce the problem. I've emailed the service manager to ask for suggestions & what I should do if I reproduce it again.

If I turn the engine off and then start up again the problem goes away so naturally making an appointment, taking the car in, turning it off, etc. is a non starter.

Very messed up.

VXG

• 2 months later...

Update: after several tries I finally got the problem with my sirius radio to reproduce in the presence of a Lexus service rep. So they started to investigate and found that the sirius unit was not plugged in all the way - so basically a reseat of the unit seems to make it work a lot better.

VxG