Check Engine Light

danigirl

code read P1133-I replaced O2 sensor behind firewall.  light on again, replaced MAF with OEM part, light on again, giving same P1133 code...NOW what? 

Anyone have the same issue or can you help

P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction. It might be the Air/Fuel Sensor located. One air/fuel sensor located at the exhaust manifold and one before the catalytic converter, both the same part and same function. Normally both sensor to be replace. The rear sensor (after the catalytic converter) is the O2 sensor. Its look like your air/fuel sensor malfunction.

FYI..... I got P1155 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, its look like the same parts mentioned (air/fuel sensor). Replaced, and the engine check lights no more.

Hope that helps.

code read P1133-I replaced O2 sensor behind firewall.  light on again, replaced MAF with OEM part, light on again, giving same P1133 code...NOW what? 

P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction. It might be the Air/Fuel Sensor located. One air/fuel sensor located at the exhaust manifold and one before the catalytic converter, both the same part and same function. Normally both sensor to be replace. The rear sensor (after the catalytic converter) is the O2 sensor. Its look like your air/fuel sensor malfunction.

FYI..... I got P1155 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, its look like the same parts mentioned (air/fuel sensor). Replaced, and the engine check lights no more.

Hope that helps.

thanks

What is the difference in an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor and an O2 sensor??

I replaced the front one first, light came back on. Talked to a Lexus 'expert" who said I replaced wrong one. Put O2 on the the back of the firewall and light still on, that is when I got the MAF code, replaced it with OEM part, and light on again, giving same code it gave originally. So am going to replace both O2 Sensors and see what happens. What is irritating is that it is only coding one trouble spot..not 2.

Hope that helps.

thanks

I replaced the front one first, light came back on. Talked to a Lexus 'expert" who said I replaced wrong one. Put O2 on the the back of the firewall and light still on, that is when I got the MAF code, replaced it with OEM part, and light on again, giving same code it gave originally. So am going to replace both O2 Sensors and see what happens. What is irritating is that it is only coding one trouble spot..not 2.

The two Air/Fuel Sensor and O2 sensor both work differently. Yes, normally have to change both of the sensor. Hopefully can solve ur problem.

Might helps u, go to.... http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/OxygenSensors/

Q. What does an oxygen sensor do?

A. The oxygen sensor sends a signal to the engine computer based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas. This signal is used by the engine ECU to fine-tune the mixture to the optimum level for maximum catalyst efficiency and longevity. A worn-out oxygen sensor can cause excessive gasoline consumption, elevated exhaust emissions, accelerated catalytic converter damage failures and cause engine performance problems such as surging and hesitating.

Q. Except for the connector assembly, aren't all oxygen sensors basically the same?

A. NO. There are five fundamentally different types of oxygen sensors: unheated thimble, heated thimble, planar, wide-band and titania. Within each sensor type, sensors vary in the design of the ceramic element, heater element and protection tube design, all of which affect sensor operation.

Q. Where are oxygen sensors located and do they have different purposes?

A. Oxygen sensors have been standard equipment on almost all passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline engines since 1980-1981. Most vehicles built before the mid-90’s have one or two oxygen sensors (two were used on selected V6 and V8 engines starting in the late 1980s). Oxygen sensors are normally located in the exhaust system before the catalytic converter to measure exhaust emissions as they come from the engine combustion chambers. In 1996 with the federal mandated use of on-board-diagnostic systems (OBDII), vehicles also require additional oxygen sensors after the catalytic converter, to ensure that the converter is operating properly.

NOW I'M STUMPED.

I replaced both front sensors with Denso part number 89467-48011. Reset.

After 20 miles check engine light back on and codes:

P1133 and P1153. which says that both sensors need to be replaced.

So far I have replaced the MAF, temp control sensor, and both sensors 2 x, and continue to get these codes.

What possibly is wrong now? Has anyone ever had this before???

Hope that helps.

thanks

The two Air/Fuel Sensor and O2 sensor both work differently. Yes, normally have to change both of the sensor. Hopefully can solve ur problem.

Might helps u, go to.... http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/OxygenSensors/

Q. What does an oxygen sensor do?

A. The oxygen sensor sends a signal to the engine computer based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas. This signal is used by the engine ECU to fine-tune the mixture to the optimum level for maximum catalyst efficiency and longevity. A worn-out oxygen sensor can cause excessive gasoline consumption, elevated exhaust emissions, accelerated catalytic converter damage failures and cause engine performance problems such as surging and hesitating.

Q. Except for the connector assembly, aren't all oxygen sensors basically the same?

A. NO. There are five fundamentally different types of oxygen sensors: unheated thimble, heated thimble, planar, wide-band and titania. Within each sensor type, sensors vary in the design of the ceramic element, heater element and protection tube design, all of which affect sensor operation.

Q. Where are oxygen sensors located and do they have different purposes?

A. Oxygen sensors have been standard equipment on almost all passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline engines since 1980-1981. Most vehicles built before the mid-90’s have one or two oxygen sensors (two were used on selected V6 and V8 engines starting in the late 1980s). Oxygen sensors are normally located in the exhaust system before the catalytic converter to measure exhaust emissions as they come from the engine combustion chambers. In 1996 with the federal mandated use of on-board-diagnostic systems (OBDII), vehicles also require additional oxygen sensors after the catalytic converter, to ensure that the converter is operating properly.

A very common cause of CEL is that during an oil change someone inspects the air filter. In doing so you lift up on the top cover of the air filter box. This puts stress on the rubber hose between the air filter box and the firewall and pulls it off the metal tube down below the air filter box. This definitely causes a CEL. If you find this hose off, I bet it was the cause of your initial CEL. If you still continue to get CELs after replacing the hose I bet it is now due to one of your new sensors.

• 2 weeks later...