Purchasing A 1997 Or 1999 Es300?

I currently own a 1996 es300 and I'm looking to step up to the new body style Lexus introduced in 1997. I have done some research on this new model and see that there a lot of good things Lexus did but I did notice one big change in 1999. They introduced a new power train. A VVT motor and new transmission. I have test driven both and I can feel the difference in both but I can also feel a big difference in 96 to 97 in the way they ride.

My question is. I want peoples opinion, weather I should buy a 99 or 97-98? If you recommend the 99, why? And if I decide to go with a 97-98 model is there anything I might need to know about them. Like problems.

Any help

Marc

I have a black/tan 98' ES300. I am very pleased with its performance and reliability. The only issue I had was with the EGR valve going bad at 80k; causal agent was carbon build-up. Aside from that, it has been great. If I could do it over again, I would have bought the ES with NAV and HID's. Also, I like the taillights on the 97-99 but would rather have the 00-01 taillights.

I have a black/tan 98' ES300.  I am very pleased with its performance and reliability.  The only issue I had was with the EGR valve going bad at 80k; causal agent was carbon build-up.  Aside from that, it has been great.  If I could do it over again, I would have bought the ES with NAV and HID's.  Also, I like the taillights on the 97-99 but would rather have the 00-01 taillights.

Thanks for your help. How much was that fix?

Marc, if your budget permits, go with the '99 ES. Like you said, some improvements were made to the engine and transmission compared to the '97 predecessor. Even better is the '00-'01 ES model, which includes a newer and cleaner look (front and rear), and more options for the interior like heated seats, HIDs, and wood steering wheel.

Marc, if your budget permits, go with the '99 ES.  Like you said, some improvements were made to the engine and transmission compared to the '97 predecessor.  Even better is the '00-'01 ES model, which includes a newer and cleaner look (front and rear), and more options for the interior like heated seats, HIDs, and wood steering wheel.

Thank you for that. I'll keep it in mind.

I have the 2001 ES300... a very classy car. Mine is black with a tan interior. I looked at several before going with the 2001. I liked how clean the tail lights looked and it just seemed to have more elegant lines. I also liked all the chrome on black. George