Lexus Performance Vehicles Being Tested

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Click on THIS to read the story.

In the 'world' of performance cars - we are living in the so-called 'good old days'. When I first really got into cars - one of the 'hottest' vehicles a person could buy was a Ford Mustang King Cobra. [with laced-spoked 13" 'mag' wheels] Believe me when I tell you this - I thought I was born a decade too late. Now I realize - I just had to be patient!! [very patient - as it turns out - but here we are]

Craig!! :)

From the article on the autoweek website

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102821

Getting Back in the Game: Toyota caught testing sporty Lexus entries

AUTOWEEK

Posted Date: 7/20/05

After several years of essentially staying on the sidelines of the sports car arena, it is becoming clear through quick glimpes at test tracks that Toyota is about to re-enter the raging horsepower wars in a big way. Our spies caught Toyota testing a high-performance coupe at the Nürburgring with proportions aimed at cars like the BMW 6 Series.

This test mule sports a Japan-market Toyota Crown Royal body that already uses a V8 engine and crucially, can be fitted with rear- or all-wheel drive.

While bodied as a sedan, notice several inches were cut out of the rear doors and roof. Other hints are the quad exhaust pipes, lowered suspension, large disc brakes and low profile tires.

With the Lexus brand’s recent introduction into the Japanese market and growing performance ambitions as telegraphed by its LF-A sports car concept (AW, Jan. 17), this future coupe will likely carry the Lexus badge.

As for the LF-A, a test vehicle was also spotted flying around the Nürburgring about the same time. Below are the latest spy shots of the car we’ve been watching since the concept debuted at the 2005 Detroit show.

Speculation is still rampant about what will power the LF-A. It might be a 500-hp range V10 of less than 5.0 liters of displacement. Or a V8 might be used if F1 rule changes, set for 2006, reflect that. The target weight of the car is said to be less than 3000 pounds, with a top speed upward of 190 mph.

Look for a production LF-A to possibly debut later this year at the Tokyo Motor Show in October.

102821.jpg

lexus_siderear.jpg

toyota_main.jpg

toyota_rearthreequarter.jpg