Front Differential

RX300 Steven

Okay, I have been changing all my oils over to a nice synthetic Amsoil. Did the engine oil, rear diff, tranny, and working on the front diff. I have tried for a week now and I can't break the drain plug free yet. got the fill plug off okay, just not the drain. so I figured maybe at least I could use my pump and suck out some of it and replace it until I can either get better tools to free the drain or get something better then WD40 to loosen it up. I put in the hose and nothing would come out, so I figured it's a little low and I'd just add enough to fill it back up. well, long story short it took a full quart. so that means it was 100% empty. :cries: that may account for why the drain plug is so hard to get off, it's probably baked onto it.

I filled it full and no leaks yet that I can see, and I'm going to check it several times a day for the next week to see if it's leaking and that might be why it was dry.

Big question is: what might I expect to happen running the front diff with no gear oil. I've only had my RX for 5,000 miles. It's a 2000 with 75,000 miles on it now.

did I do the right thing by filling it back up ? or because it's been dry and suddenly adding oil going to cause new problems. It's actually been running perfectly, getting very good gas mileage, shifting is very smooth and nice, I don't have any complaints on anything mechanical about it.

someone re-assure me that I did okay filling it, and what to look out for to stop any problems. I'm planning a trip (600 miles 1 way) next month.

:cries:

Could you describe the fill plug (size, location)?

When I loosen mine, gear oil started to drip out caused by the tilt when I jacked up the passenger side.

Under the passenger side axle coming out of the transmission, just a few inches up and to the left (if under the car looking forward) tilted at a slight angle (not vertical like the drain plug)

I attached a pic, guess I'm not sure if you call it the front diff or transfer case, I hear so many people interchanging them I'm confused. but the drain ithe one with the blue label that says 80W90 gear oil, and the fill is just to the top of it.

post-17755-1121916553_thumb.jpg

That looks like my fill plug, it is blue but says 85w90, facing toward the rear and perpendicular to the ground.

I think you mean drain plug is horizontal to the ground- not vertical.

I used a craftsman 15/16 open end wrench to get the drain plug off. There is not enough space to latch completely. I patiently angle the wrench until I got a good hold. Careful not to strip it and soak the drain plug with WD40.

I am not sure where your gear oil went, but it is not a good sign to pour one qt without draining. You need to loosen the drain plug to wipe off metal debris collected on the magnet.

That looks like my fill plug, it is blue but says 85w90,  facing toward the rear and perpendicular to the ground.

I think you mean drain plug is horizontal to the ground- not vertical.

I used a craftsman 15/16 open end wrench to get the drain plug off.  There is not enough space to latch completely.  I patiently angle the wrench until I got a good hold.  Careful not to strip it and soak the drain plug with WD40.

I am not sure where your gear oil went, but it is not a good sign to pour one qt without draining.  You need to loosen the drain plug to wipe off metal debris collected on the magnet.

On mine, and in the pic, the one with the blue label on it is the drain plug, vertically, and fill is on the top of the diff at a slight angle (not horizontal/vertical)

Interesting, my RX AWD has blue 15/16 as the fill plug, it is facing the rear. The drain plug also is 15/16 and has a yellow label and facing down, just couple inches down from the fill plug.

What is the size of your fill plug, does it have a crush filter when you loosen it?

Interesting, my RX AWD has blue 15/16 as the fill plug, it is facing the rear.  The drain plug also is 15/16 and has a yellow label and facing down, just couple inches down from the fill plug.

What is the size of your fill plug, does it have a crush filter when you loosen it?

15/16 size, it had a washer, not sure how to tell if is was a crush type. looked gold in color like it was brass. Did you look at the pic I attached before, your's doesn't look the same ? The blue label is at the bottom side of the gearbox, and the fill is straight up with no label, just a little yellow mark.

If your fill is on the side and not on the top, how do you get fluid to stay in it ?

Maybe they just put the blue label on the wrong one for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I was confused about the floowing: transfer case, front differential, real differential. Went to the Lexus dealer. They cahnged/flushed the front differential fluid (=transfer case) and the rear differential fluid for $49.50 each. Not bad at all. :cheers:

The front diff/transfer case has a total of 3 plugs. The one in the middle (from top to bottom) is the fill plug. The one on the top can be used to fill but the middle one is the level the gl5 should be at.

• 5 years later...