Fresh Air Control Switch

I have a '96 SC400. Every time I start the car, the Fresh Air Control Switch jumps over to re-circulate. I can switch it back to fresh air, but it will switch back on restart. Even sometimes while driving, the switch will change from fresh air to re-circulate. It's kinda freaky. I've tried to set the switches withOUT using the Automatic switch, but instead will set the fan speed manually, essentially taking the system out of the automatic mode.

Has anyone experienced this inconvenience? And if so, what did you do to prevent the complication.

Todd

To add to my confusion, the A/C does NOT have to be turned "on". I can be driving around during the day, on cool nights, anytime... with the roof open, or closed, vent, heat, whatever. Everytime I restart the car, the switch jumps over to re-circulate. Again, I will swap the switch over to fresh air, then can be sitting at a signal light and it will switch over to re-circulate.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Next time you get into your car, try turning the temperature knob slowly up and down. It should switch from recirculate to fresh air on it's own. In mine, when I start the car it's on recirculate, if I turn the knob to what temperature it is outside, it will turn to fresh air. Give it a try, if it does it, it's normal.