New, Very Happy Owner Of A 2002 4wd

mckellyb

Finally did it, found/bought an '02, gold-colored, AWD RX300 with literally *every* option on it ('cept the trailer hitch, good thing, in my mind). Have to admit, it's a *nice* car.

I took my wife, whose car it is, to look at an '04, after convincing her to wait and see what the re-design brought to the table. To her, it was merely a large, Ford Focus-like hatch and $20K more out the door...she like the 'old' version better. Now, to find one....

FWIW, we're not "SUV" people, but needed one 'real' 4x4 (Suzuki Grand Vitara 5-speed) in the CO mountains, and since a motorcycle, um, 'incident', a couple of years ago, we can't really get in/out of normal height cars, anymore. Bummer, but hey, life is dangerous. The Suzuki I can't sell for under trade-in, so it's a keeper. Keeping her '95 Intrepid ES w/the 3.5L motor, just 'cause it's fun to drive, and make a downright *nice* "beater".

This one was in CA, close enough (we're exiled to Oregon, currently...no, I *don't* like it here...CO was *way* nicer). Gold, NAV, AWD...hard combo of options to find on '02's and forget about '03's. Don't think there were many made for '03.

Anyway, I've figured out a bunch of stuff from the pretty well-written manuals, but I was hoping I've just overlooked how to turn on the mirror compass heading indicator. Tried, couldn't do it, then it hit me, maybe the NAV system equipped ones didn't have it, even though the directional icon on the NAV display is hard to see. I seem to have tossed the equipment guide for new cars on the 2002 model, but on the 2003 model, it shows the compass as 'included'. Could be it's just 'relocated' to the NAV screen.

Otherwise, seems like a quite well-kept machine, 5K oil changes, it lived *way* out in the country (so no short trips), made the 500+ mile trip home averaging almost 26 MPG. Any time I beat the EPA figures, I'm a happy guy.

Anyway, any tips/tricks are appreciated. As are links to other boards. Hit me off-list, if you like.

Time to start surfing for a 'real' repair manual. ;) I just *have* to tinker with stuff, broken or not....

Kelly B

'02 RX300, AWD/NAV, 22K mi.

'99 Suzuki Grand Vitara, motorhome toad, 53K mi.

'95 Dodge Intrepid ES, still a nice car, 110K mi.