Timing Belt Replacement Critical?!

Wulf

I understand if a timing belt goes out on older engines it will cause substantial damage to other components. I was recently told on newer engines that is not the case. On newer engines if the timing belt goes out, only the timing belt will need replacement. IS THIS CORRECT?

If so, what engine year did this change take place? I have a 1997 ES 300 with 108,000 highway miles. I have NOT changed the timing belt.

I have not had any problems with this car. I am replacing my brakes tomorrow after 80,000 miles. I am also having the sway bar bushings replaced. I change my oil every 3000 miles and use a full synthetic oil.

I really would appreciate info on this timing belt issue. Thanks!

You are incorrect.

99% of all Toyota mainstream engines are non-interferrance, that includes yours. No damage is done when the timing belt fails.

Toyota recommends changing timing belts every 60,000 miles, along with the accessory parts removed during the change (accessory belts, water pump etc.).

You are incorrect.

99% of all Toyota mainstream engines are non-interferrance, that includes yours. No damage is done when the timing belt fails.

Toyota recommends changing timing belts every 60,000 miles, along with the accessory parts removed during the change (accessory belts, water pump etc.).

I thought starting in 99 (VVT-i technology=variable valve timing w/INTERFERENCE) which became an interference engine. I am not starting a debate here or heated debate etc, but an engine that is going on seven years old is mainstream here. (over 50%)

In the older engines (1mz-fe 94' to 98') are are non-interference but are about the same years in service.

I also thought based on the norm on here (LOC) that 90K was the service for the ES300 (for this year in question); based on my findings using the search functionally. Just some FYI if nothing else.

According to aldata service Tec maintenance program used in most shops they call for a belt every 70,000 K wich is around 60,000mil do to the extra strain from the quad cam unlike the Hondas how call for one every 100,000k

There seems to be disagreement whether a '97 ES 300 has a noninterference or an interference engine. Does anyone really know?

I am aware the 90,000 service is over due. The point here is that a tremendous amount of those miles were freeway miles (brakes lasted 80,000 miles). With that many freeway miles, has the timing belt worn as much?

Here is my dilemma: I may want to sell this car in the next 6 months and buy another Lexus. I am just trying to determine if I really need to spend $850 to change the timing belt and other components that go with that repair.

Thanks for the advice.

There seems to be disagreement whether a '97 ES 300 has a noninterference or an interference engine. Does anyone really know?

Pre-1999 are NON-INTERFERENCE

1999 - 2005 are INTERFERENCE

Like mburn eluded to earlier, an easy way to remember is:

VVTi stands for Variable Valve Timing with intelligence.

I always remember it as Variable Valve Timing with INTERFERENCE.

VVTi was introduced with the 1999 model year.

steviej

If the refferance material is in disagreement on Gates. You can see that a '97+ Camry engine is listed as interferance, when there was no cam change on that engine - while the vvt-i ES engine has no such marking.

vvt-i Variable Valve Timing with intelligence

Toyota did not varry cam profiles of the 1mz-fe when they vvt-i AFAIK. VVT-i Only only varries the timing of the intake valve. You can varry the timing all you want, but if the lift of the cam lobe doesn't push the valve into an intersecting path with the piston -> it will be non-interferrance no matter what the timing is.

http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/articles/vvt.htm

Wulf if you are serious about selling it, forget the timing belt for now.

Pre-1999 are NON-INTERFERENCE

1999 - 2005 are INTERFERENCE

Like mburn eluded to earlier, an easy way to remember is:

VVTi stands for Variable Valve Timing with intelligence.

I always remember it as Variable Valve Timing with INTERFERENCE.

VVTi was introduced with the 1999 model year.

steviej

I rememebr reading YOUR post a long time ago and that is all I remember!!!! I could never remember what the I stood for! :wacko: