Lexus Newbie: I Just Placed My Order!

Hello everyone!

First, I would like to say thank you to the people who have contributed to this Lexus Hybrid forum (and thanks to those who host it!) This particular site has been a valuable resource of information in helping me make a decision on my next vehicle. Thank you! :D

My name is Mike. I'm 29 and I commute about 70 miles between home and work in the Los Angeles area...my route takes me straight through the heart of downtown Los Angeles, on the 110 freeway during our infamous heavy traffic conditions.

I currently drive an '01 Dodge Durango which gets about 15MPG and has about 65K miles. Needless to say, I fill up at least once, if not twice a week...running about $50/tank. In considering a new vehicle, I knew for sure that I wanted to get a hybrid. I had read and heard a lot about hybrids actually getting better mileage during city driving, so I figured it would be perfect for my situation.

I had already test-driven a Prius last year, but after getting used to an SUV (my previous car was a '00 Toyota Avalon) the Prius felt too narrow and I really disliked the visibility & large blind spots. I like sitting up high on the road so I can usually see what's going on ahead of the car in front of me. I also have two large dogs (an Akita & German Shepherd) that occasionally go for rides in the car. For me, a hybrid SUV was the answer.

I first noticed the Toyota Highlander Hybrid & Lexus RX400H at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January, but knew I would have to wait some time before more information would be available on both vehicles. A couple weeks ago, I finally started doing my research online and investigating my options before I narrowed my choices down to the Highlander Hybrid & RX400H.

I made appointments at the Longo Toyota/Lexus dealerships and test drove both cars. I was impressed by the Highlander. It's a very nice vehicle, comparable in size to my current Durango with many more amenities. The salesman said that the wait to get one available would be sometime in December. I test drove the RX400H too and immediately noticed the difference in comfort, acceleration/performance (very impressive!) & braking. The lady at the dealership said that the wait to get one is about 4-6 weeks.

As I was comparing both vehicles, I noticed that both of them appear to use the same DVD navigation system. One feature of the Highlander that I really liked was that the radio/audio system controls are all accessible through the touchscreen interface of the nav system, whereas on the 400H, the audio system controls have a separate display & set of buttons. I have a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone (which I was successfully able to test & pair with the 400H). The Highlander doesn't have the Bluetooth functionality. Having this Bluetooth handsfree (& headset free) option while I'm sitting in traffic is definitely a feature I can appreciate. (I was disappointed to hear rumors that the new version of the Prius will not offer Bluetooth anymore.) The 400H is smaller & more cozy than the Highlander, but I don't really need the third-row seating & extra cargo capacity, since it's usually just me driving by myself.

There were a few things about the RX400H I was disappointed to learn about: No tire-pressure monitoring system, laser/radar cruise control or raising/lowering (air suspension) of the car as on the RX330 and no XM/Sirius radio capability (although the lady at the dealership I'm working with said that towards the end of the year there should be an upgrade option available. I don't really know the details.) Of course, it's not that major of an issue as I'm not used to having those features available in any of my previous cars. I'm not so worried about the special cruise control or raising/lowering of the car, considering I probably wouldn't use them that often. But it did strike me as odd that the tire pressure monitoring system isn't in the 2006 model considering the looming government mandate for 2008. I'm sure it'll be available in the 2007 model.

Reading this forum and everyone's postings has helped give me more realistic expectations about this car. I understand that it's not as fuel efficient as the Prius as Lexus has decided not to compromise performance. I am figuring I will probably get about 25MPG to start with...which is a significant improvement over the Durango...more along the lines of the mileage I got with my Avalon. A MPG higher than that will be "icing on the cake" so to speak.

The 400H is definitely more expensive than the Highlander, but there were some other considerations that made me lean more towards getting the Lexus: 1) Safety. Everything from the various airbags, ABS with brake assist, traction control to that VDIM system. I'm sure everyone is familiar with how notorious and unpredictable Los Angeles drivers are - especially when it rains and the freeways get slick. Having those safety features is great peace of mind. 2) Service. The dealership will come to my home or work to perform routine service/oil changes. In the event that the car needs to be taken to the dealership, they'll drop off a loaner car with me and take my car via flatbed truck to the dealership, so I don't have to take time out of my work schedule to go get the car serviced. All of this is included at no additional charge. 3) Comfort. When sitting in traffic between an hour or two hours (one way), the seats in the Durango start to get a little uncomfortable. I really appreciated how comfortable the RX400H's seats were. The Highlander's seats were comfortable too, but not nearly like the Lexus'. If I'm going to be spending that much time in a car, I want to be comfortable, relaxed and not feel like I'm in a rush. I want to enjoy the time I'm in the car and I immediately felt the tranquility in the Lexus. There were some other factors, such as the $2000 tax deduction if the car is purchased this year along with the ability to drive in the carpool lane - pending Federal approval that encouraged me to make my choice.

Well, this past Sunday, July 3rd, I went back to Longo Lexus and test drove the car again and got most of my questions answered. I went ahead and put down a $500 deposit for a silver/grey 400H with the Rear Entertainment System. (I really wanted the option to play DVDs & plug in my Xbox/Gamecube/Playstation to the outlets that are installed from the factory with the RES.)

Well, I've put my Durango up for sale and hopefully towards the beginning/middle of August, I'll be a new member of the Lexus family. I'm a little nervous as this is a big investment (and step up) for me. I know I'll have some questions, so I want to thank you all for your help & support. :)

Mike

P.S. Does anyone know if there are PDF versions of the owner manuals for the car/nav system/etc.? I'd like to get a head start on learning & familiarizing myself with the operation of everything. Thanks! :D

Congratulations, Mike and welcome to the club. We were considering the Highlander hybrid as well, but were turned off by the local manager's attitude (especially after he dissolved a waiting list on which we were #2). You will definitely enjoy your 400, especially during the conditions you must endure. This is where the hybrids really shine - city driving.

I know that there is a tutorial on-line in the Lexus web site that shows you most of the NAV features (but not voice recognition stuff), but I have not heard of a PDF owner's manual yet.

Remember to check your tires' pressure or ask your dealership to refrain from pumping them up into the stratosphere. I believe 32 psi is correct. Mine were close to 40 psi. Good luck!

Dave