98 Gs300 Engine Shakes

this morning i turned on the car and as i began to accelerate, the engine began to misfire a bit. when i got to the stop sign, the engine was shaking the car. had some rough acceleration and then the check engine light started blinking. the light stopped blinking and a 10 minutes later, the car started to drive fine. I had spark plugs changed at dealer back in december 2004.

What do you guys think? Friend said it might a dirty gas line or something.

Since the check engine light blinked a few times, is that code now stored in the system??????

Im thinking of going to dealer to see what problem is.....

See my post above about where the PCV or brake booster is located.  Sounds like you need to add some Seafoam to that engine and clean it up.  It will restore performance and your smooth idle will return.

Matt

That's a great place to start! <_<

Other then Seafoam, can i just purchase some fuel injector cleaner and pour it in the gas tank?

What should I get to clean the throttle body etc?

I called my mechanic and he said he wants $95 to do a full cleaning...meaning clean fuel injectors (probably by just pouring stuff in the gas tank), clean throttle body etc....sounds like stuff i can do myself

anybody got intructions on cleaning the throttle body? where is it on the engine?

Thanks again!

Other then Seafoam, can i just purchase some fuel injector cleaner and pour it in the gas tank?

What should I get to clean the throttle body etc?

I called my mechanic and he said he wants $95 to do a full cleaning...meaning clean fuel injectors (probably by just pouring stuff in the gas tank), clean throttle body etc....sounds like stuff i can do myself

anybody got intructions on cleaning the throttle body? where is it on the engine?

Thanks again!

You can use any good quality fuel injection cleaner. It might take a a few tankfuls mixed with fuel injector cleaner to do the job, especially if you've never done it before. You can buy some carb cleaner in a can at walmart. Remove the air hose going into the intake and you'll probably see lots of black gunky buildup. Spray the cleaner into the throttlebody and using a toothbrush scrub as much off as possible off the throttle plate. Spray cleaner into any openings in the throttle body to flush them out. Be careful you don't lose the spray wand inside the throttle body. <_<

Simply adding Seafoam to the gas tank will only clean your injectors and the inside walls of the cylinders. To clean the top of the valves, you need to add it through one of your vacuum lines. I just treated her car tonight (via vacuum line and gas tank). I'll add about half a can into the crankcase before she drives to the Express Oil Change to have her oil changed. I don't like to run it mixed with the oil very long, but it is safe to do and they recommend it and it definitely works. The first time I added it to the crankcase of my 4Runner and drove to the oil change place, I asked the tech to see the filter and the oil was definitely dirty so it did indeed do what is was supposed to. However, that's why I don't add it to the oil and leave it. Give it a shot. For $5 a can you won't be disappointed.

Matt

Oops, just realized you were asking about the throttle body. I've never cleaned mine, but I probably should. Check the Tech section under maintenance on Yotatech.com Those guys know alot and I'm sure they've got a good product that they use to clean theirs. I seem to recall seeing a writeup on cleaning the throttle body on a 4Runner on Yotatech.

Matt

Does anyone have any opinions on this stuff in a red can called Marvel Mystery Oil? I used to use it in older cars by adding to the gas tank and crank case, but am not sure about adding into the same in my GS 300.

Thanks. Lou

• 6 months later...

Simply adding Seafoam to the gas tank will only clean your injectors and the inside walls of the cylinders. To clean the top of the valves, you need to add it through one of your vacuum lines. I just treated her car tonight (via vacuum line and gas tank). I'll add about half a can into the crankcase before she drives to the Express Oil Change to have her oil changed. I don't like to run it mixed with the oil very long, but it is safe to do and they recommend it and it definitely works. The first time I added it to the crankcase of my 4Runner and drove to the oil change place, I asked the tech to see the filter and the oil was definitely dirty so it did indeed do what is was supposed to. However, that's why I don't add it to the oil and leave it. Give it a shot. For $5 a can you won't be disappointed.

Matt

do you add Seafoam to the oil crank case where you add engine oil? is that where the oil crank case is? don't know much about cars... thanks.