New Transmission For Free!

Ok, so I had some problems with one of my shift solenoids in my 98 ES, the one that locks the torque converter, so I took it in and $1198 dollars later I had a new Valve Body. The problem was solved for about 20 miles when the check engine light came on again with the exact same code as before. So this time the Dealer checks it all out and says that my torque converter is not locking up when the solenoid tells it to and that I need a new torque coverter. :censored: I say "well that sucks" he says "yeah it does" then there is silence............"But don't worry, we will cover the converter because we made you replace the valve body." So I tell him thanks, and that was it for about a week while they ordered it. Then he calls me yesterday that says that he just got off the phone with two Lexus engineers and they said don't bother with the converter because it wont fix the problem. They tell him that I need a new transmission!!!!! :o So he tells them that I already paid for the valve body because they he told me it would be best and asks them what he should do. So they say give him the transmission for No Charge!!!!!!! This is the best experience with any dealer or mechanic in my entire life. I guess it wasnt really free. I still had to pay for the valve body but the tranny job would have been about 4 grand so most of it was free. :)

Let us know how it turns out. At what mileage on your '98 ES did you see this problem? I'm beginning to hear more and more about the solenoid failures in the '97-'01 ES, thus affecting the functionality of the transmission. I had to get the tranny replaced in my '01 ES several months ago just around the mileage of 98K. It's a remanufactured transmission off of another '01 ES, and I paid around $1,100 after all is said and done (original cost was going to be around $3,300 but my extended warranty footed a portion of it).

Let us know how it turns out.  At what mileage on your '98 ES did you see this problem?  I'm beginning to hear more and more about the solenoid failures in the '97-'01 ES, thus affecting the functionality of the transmission.  I had to get the tranny replaced in my '01 ES several months ago just around the mileage of 98K.  It's a remanufactured transmission off of another '01 ES, and I paid around $1,100 after all is said and done (original cost was going to be around $3,300 but my extended warranty footed a portion of it).

the dealer replaced it ?

Let us know how it turns out.  At what mileage on your '98 ES did you see this problem?  I'm beginning to hear more and more about the solenoid failures in the '97-'01 ES, thus affecting the functionality of the transmission.  I had to get the tranny replaced in my '01 ES several months ago just around the mileage of 98K.  It's a remanufactured transmission off of another '01 ES, and I paid around $1,100 after all is said and done (original cost was going to be around $3,300 but my extended warranty footed a portion of it).

the dealer replaced it ?

Yeah the dealer did it. They gave me a loaner ES to keep for about one month, which was probably the longest I've kept for a loaner ;)

not lexus of westport, or was it?

It was from Lexus of Westport. I have gone there for service work for the last 5 years, and they've provided nothing but excellent work :D

So are you also experiencing some tranny-related problems in your ES?

I got my car back on saturday and it drives great. I just walked in, they handed me the keys, told me that the NEW interval for changing the fluid was 50,000 miles, and sent me on my way. By far the best experience I have ever had at a dealer. The dealer was Lexus of Nashville Tennessee by Rivergate mall. The only thing that I had to do was reset the trans computer by pulling the EFI fuse and now she shifts just like I want her to. :cheers: I thought it was interesting that the interval for changing the fluid had changed from 15-30,000 to 50,000. They must have had something wrong with the 97-01 trans and the new remanufactured units must be much better. The service manager said that the Lexus engineer that he talked to didn't hesitate to tell him to comp me a new trans. So it's evident that they know there is a problem and are willing to fix it with the right amount of prodding. It is very nice to see a clean new trans under my hood. Now the rest of my engine, which I kept very clean, looks dirty now. Oh I almost forgot, I have 92,000 on the car, it had 89,000 when I bought it. Now I can say I've got 92 grand on the car and about 87 miles on the trans. :D

told me that the NEW interval for changing the fluid was 50,000 miles, and sent me on my way.

That's a baaaaaaad idea.

Drain the pan yearly, or flush it every other year is my advice.

Schedule A

full fluid replacement every 20,000 miles, or 24 months

Towing, or heavy acceleration

Short trips less than 5miles

Outside temperatures remain below freezing.

Extensive idling, and / or low speed driving for a long distance.

Schedule B

fluid inspection at 15,000 miles, or 24 months.

Nothing on the above list

I could see the highest quality synthetic with an aux cooler lasting 50,000 miles before it's toast if the elderly owned the car.

I understand that 50,000 might not be the best interval to change the fluid, but what I was trying to show is that Lexus obviously has changed the tranmission since 97-01 and now they have more faith in it.