Wheel Alignment

Just got my 400h and immediately noticed that it pulled severly to the right when coasting, but seems to drive okay when accelerating.. Lexus adjusted it but it still bias right when coasting so took it back again.

Lexus loan me another 400h demo as a loner and it too bias to the right in coasting mode. Lexus has had my auto for 5 days now and expained that they are working with mfg technical services on how to correct this problem.

One one having this similar problem, or is it just my 400h?

Just got my 400h and immediately noticed that it pulled severly to the right when coasting, but seems to drive okay when accelerating..  Lexus adjusted it but it still bias right when coasting so took it back again.

Lexus loan me another 400h demo as a loner and it too bias to the right in coasting mode.  Lexus has had my auto for 5 days now and expained that they are working with mfg technical services on how to correct this problem.

There is a lot of discussion about this in the following forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef2229b

• 2 years later...
Just got my 400h and immediately noticed that it pulled severly to the right when coasting, but seems to drive okay when accelerating.. Lexus adjusted it but it still bias right when coasting so took it back again.

Lexus loan me another 400h demo as a loner and it too bias to the right in coasting mode. Lexus has had my auto for 5 days now and expained that they are working with mfg technical services on how to correct this problem.

so did they ever get it fixed? Mine does this too.

• 4 weeks later...

so did they ever get it fixed? Mine does this too.

Robl45, you're asking folks a question that could have died almost two years ago ... that's how old the OP is :P

Even so, I have an alignment quandry. Ours is pulling to the right too. Firestone has a "Lifetime Alignment" for appx $140. Took it down there and you won't BELIEVE what they told me. "Can't do your car ~ because it needs special equipment that we don't have".

Hugh? Isn't the RX basicly the same as the Highlander? . . . and don't both simply sit on a camry chassis? I threw that out to the fine Firestone folks, hoping they'd say, ok, we'll do it. To my confusion, they replied, "Your Lexus has turning headlights, and since they turn with the wheels turning, it takes special equipment".

Firestone told me the 400h, due to it's headlights that turn with tire/steering wheel turns, has to be aligned at the Lexus dealer. Anyone else hear of that? Anybody else had an alignment anywhere else? Thanks ... we're just trying to avoid the highest price service, if possible.

Edit:

You know, after reading old post on 'suspension' issues (assumed because of irregular tire wear) or issues with just tire wear, perhaps ALL these issues can be chocked up to alignment. Just a thought.

Have you folks reporting RX400h's pulling to the right tried letting go of the steering wheel on a perfectly flat road and seeing if it still pulls? It may be the camber of the road (slopes down towards the curb) that is causing the car to seem to pull right. With brand new tires my RX will "pull to the right" if the road surface slopes down to the right. The RX seems more sensitive to this than other cars.

Yes. I'm talking about pull to the right on roads with NO high center. Roads that have high centers (for drainage) simply exascerbate the condition. Has anyone found a cheep place for alignments? Took it in to Firestone & they claimed that due to the 400h having headlights that turn with tires/steering wheel turning, THEY couldn't do it ... because cars like that require special equipment. Anyone else heard of such a thing?

i know this steering is sensitive to crowns, however mine stopped pulling to the right when i got new michelins last week, i use 36 psi. i will be watching the wear closely.

Yes. I'm talking about pull to the right on roads with NO high center. Roads that have high centers (for drainage) simply exascerbate the condition. Has anyone found a cheep place for alignments? Took it in to Firestone & they claimed that due to the 400h having headlights that turn with tires/steering wheel turning, THEY couldn't do it ... because cars like that require special equipment. Anyone else heard of such a thing?

There are certain things that I won't have anyone else do to my RX besides the dealership and this is one. I figure that if it is something that doesn't have to be repeated every 6 months, then the $50 extra I spend at the dealership is no big deal. This is especially true if the model is fairly new.