Need Information On The Toyota Soarer

Hi guys,

I am currently gaining my license in becoming a Registered Importer and one of the automobiles I am considering importing is the 1991-1996 1JZ turbo Toyota Soarer. After scouring the NHTSA and DMS Web, I've not found much information in bringing the Soarer into compliance. What I want to know is what steps need to be taken to make them legal as far as the FMVSS is concerned.

Please, if you will, no guessing but actual facts. I've found that a lot of concensus out there, especially concerning the importation of the Skyline, is a lot of crap, so I'mlooking for actual facts.

Thanks guys,

Eric

I think you will get your "facts" if you contact the appropriate govenmental agencies directly. I got a huge stack of requirements from the Feds when I thought about importing a Euro-spec Mercedes many years ago. Importing and certifying a non-U.S. spec car is a capital intensive venture requiring the posting of a bond for each car imported. Cars not brought into compliance within a fairly short period must be either destroyed or exported.

I suspect the cost of importing and certifying a 1996 Soarer would exceed what it could be sold for in the U.S. And how many people in the U.S. want to drive a right hand drive car? Many of the components are different than on U.S. models and it is unlikely that Toyota/Lexus will provide any assistance at all on conversion or replacement parts.

Right, once the car enters the country the RI will have 120 days to bring to conformity, and seeing how the Soarer is under code VSP----

"VSP" eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. § 30141(a)(1)(A), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists.

The bond is similar to a customs bond where the average cost is $4.50 per thousand, so there's no issues there. As far as demand, there's plenty around. Of course the venture is capital intensive, but more from the customers point of veiw as they hae to prepay a deposit to get the ball rolling. Even still the going rate or a RHD Soarer 1JZ-GTE is 14-18K. What I'm looking for is someone who has a legal Soarer in the US right now, who knows exactly what modifications were involved. Crash testing has already been performed on these cars and found to meet FMVSS. I'm thining that it might be just the EPA testng that's required, but I want to exhaust every avenue in finding out the facts.

Thanks guys,

Eric

Hi

Being from Australia all we have here is Soarers. Our country is so flooded with them the prices have hit rock bottom.

I just sold my 5 speed 1JZ TT for a LS400.

When cars come into Australia from japan they have to go to an engineers to pass alot of things. This should be similar in USA.

I know you want actual US facts but this will give you an idea.

Things like

Reversing lights

Side door Latches and Hinges

Seat and seat anchorages

Seat belts

Anchorages for seat belts and Child restraints

Directional Indicator lamps (Color)

Safety Glazing Material

Steering column

Internal sun visors

Glare reduction in field of view

Rear vision mirrors

Demisting of windscreen

Windscreen washers and wipers

Instrumentattion

Safety rims

Instrument panel

Head restraints

Tyres

Tyre and rim selection

Anti Theft locks

Noise

Side door strength

Child restraint anchorages

General safety requirements

All those have to be up to US standards. Quite a few will already pass but i know things like side intrusion bars and child restraint anchorages have to be fitted.

I dont see how it is worth it unless you can legally drive with RHD.

Anyway good luck