Looking At Buying An Sc430-please Advise

farmrider

I am new to this forum. I am looking at an SC 430, as well as a CLK 500. I am curious to know what people like and dislike about the 430. I am also curious to know if there are any plans for a replacement to be out soon, I would hate to buy one, and then have it be replaced by a new generation.

Thanks

Buy the Lexus! If the SC 430 appeals to you then it should be easy to decide. The Mercedes has too much Chrysler in it now. The resale is better on the Lexus, the reliability and durability is far superior and truth is it is just a better top design.

I have owned both so I do speak with some experience

good luck, you will enjoy either one!

Archibald

Thanks that is exactly what I needed. Is Lexus reliability as good as it is made out to be. My family has owned a lot of German cars, and the more expensive they are, the more electrical problems they seem to have.....? Thanks

I am new to this forum. I am looking at an SC 430, as well as a CLK 500. I am curious to know what people like and dislike about the 430. I am also curious to know if there are any plans for a replacement to be out soon, I would hate to buy one, and then have it be replaced by a new generation.

Thanks

:chairshot: :chairshot: I have also owned both and got rid of both after less than a year.  Both have their drawbacks.  As far as problems with the cars I was very surprised.  One minor problem with the CLK and 8 or more with the SC.  I was very disappointed with the SC and the dealer service.

Let me try to give you an unbiased over view.

Paint and finish--- The paint on the SC is much smoother than the CLK but was very soft and prone to chipping much more than the CLK.  In addition it was prone to acid rain etching.

Sheet metal----  The SC's metal was much more fragile than the CLK's.  I have a paintless dent removal perso who took out several door dings in the SC and one in the CLK.  He stated that the Lexus sheet metal was not nearly as heavy as the MB's

Drive Train---  The SC felt sluggish in comparison to the CLK especially when you  consider that the CLK only has 2 HP more than the SC.  The transmission in the SC is not as responsive as the CLK.  The brakes on the CLK hauled the car to a much more quick stop.

Interior--- From a visual point of view the SC is absolutely stunning and makes the CLK look cheap in comparison.  However the seats in the SC were self destructing and the dealer gave up in trying to repair them.  From a wear prospective the CLK was more durable.

Audio--- The Levinson  was a tad better than the Harmon Karden in the CLK.

General appearance--- The SC is a real head turner and the CLK kind of blends into the crowd.

Glass--- The glass on the SC was as fragile as the paint.  It chipped easily especially when you consider that it spent most of it's time on surface streets.

Ride and handling---  This is probably not fair since the SC had the dam run flats on it.  They truly degrade the ride quality of the car.  I think Lexus made a big mistake by putting these on the car.  That said the CLK corners much better than the SC with not nearly the body roll that you will experience in the SC and at that it is firm but not harsh.   The steering in the SC is rather numb in comparison to the MB.  There is almost no road feel to it.

Resale value --- The SC holds it value better than the CLK.  I traded both cars at the same time and the SC's trade in value was approximately 20% higher.  Interesting when you consider that they were traded at a Mercedes dealer.

In summary, my experience with the SC has soured me on Lexus to the point where I won't buy another one as long as the dealer choice is limited to the dealer in the area.  The reason for trading the CLK was that I purchased an  '05 SL55 AMG and traded both cars on it.