Changing Oil Filter On Gs300

time for my first oil change on my 03 gs300 that i recently bought and i see that the oil filter needs to be reached from the top of the engine and not underneath. it's doesnt look too hard to reach but i'm wondering if there will be any oil spilling once i unscrew it? it's on an angle facing up but is that enough to prevent any spilling? if not, what's the best way to change it and keep it clean?

any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Hmm. I got mine out from underneath.

Anyway, there will be spillage. You can try to put a plastic bag around the filter and use the bag to unscrew it. Wipe down wha you can before putting things back together. Then spray affected areas with brake cleaner and wipe down.

I know it is a bit more work but I have not had any residual dripping (post oil change) yet by doing this.

BTW - Save cardboard boxes and use them as ground liners when doing oil changes. This will catch the "in process" drippings.

Thanks. i'll try that. maybe it is done from underneath. i havn't lifted the car up yet and looked at it from the botton, but it seemed that the filter was being blocked from underneath.

thanks for the tip about the brake cleaner.

Ah, the only poorly placed regular maintenance item on a Lexus, the oil filter. My personal method is to remove the filler cap and drain the oil first. Place several paper shop towels, the kind that come on a roll, under the filter right up against the block. The idea is to sort of make a bowl-like shape to catch the oil. Remove the filter from the top. You can leave the towels or remove them before you install the new filter, your choice. If you leave them, be careful not to get any paper between the filter and the seat on the block.

Ah, the only poorly placed regular maintenance item on a Lexus, the oil filter. My personal method is to remove the filler cap and drain the oil first. Place several paper shop towels, the kind that come on a roll, under the filter right up against the block. The idea is to sort of make a bowl-like shape to catch the oil. Remove the filter from the top. You can leave the towels or remove them before you install the new filter, your choice. If you leave them, be careful not to get any paper between the filter and the seat on the block.

I agree, I was disappointed with Lexus since my last 2 Toyotas ('86 & 96) had oil filters pointing at a downward angle so when you removed the filter, it was drained and you didn't have any spillage. Easy access too. I thought, finally someone got it right and then to go back to the old messy way was definitely a step backward.

Personally, the only thing I miss from my BMW was the cartridge filter that dropped straight down into the housing. Zero mess. It was done the way things should be done. Side note: GM has gotten with the program with their Ecotec engine. Besides having to tip the filter cartridge sideways to get it out of the housing (to clear the intake manifold) it's on top where it should be.

I agree, everytime I change my filter I get a small spill. But not much.

I place a fairly large rag just under the filter so that the oil does not go all over the place and then remove it from the top. Its very easily accesible by hand.

You should use a pretty big rag and fold it a few times so that if it spills on the rag it doesnt go through the rag.

Use cardboard everytime to work on the car, dont want any stains on the driveway.