Suspension

fjstl

my 97 LS 400 has almost 170k, mostly hiway miles, with the original suspension. It still rides smoother than my 2001 Camry. As I read thru the messages, it appears that most members change the front end parts at about 100k. If my ride is still smooth, no vibrating, etc., should I be concerned, or am I supposed to do some preventative maintainance on it. If the front end parts do begin to wear, but they are still safe, what is the worst that can happen?

my 97 LS 400 has almost 170k, mostly hiway miles, with the original suspension. It still rides smoother than my 2001 Camry. As I read thru the messages, it appears that most members change the front end parts at about 100k. If my ride is still smooth, no vibrating, etc., should I be concerned, or am I supposed to do some preventative maintainance on it. If the front end parts do begin to wear, but they are still safe, what is the worst that can happen?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My LS had 270,000 miles before I did any repairs, although it could have been done sooner. Watch for unbalanced tire wear, or steering wandering. Listen for clunks and rattles from front end, and check suspension components every time you change the brake pads. Don't worry about it. Gradually increasing sloppiness in the steering/suspension is the only adverse effect of bushing/ball joint wear.

John

If its fine, I'd leave it.... You dont want anyone messing up anything.