Suspension Question

agc

All I have a question regarding my suspension. I have had my car for about 5 months now and it is great but have noticed a cluking noise during braking, but only during slow speed (about 5-15 mph). There is no noise when I am driving anything above that. I also hear a clukinh noise (not load at all, but still there) when I go over certain bumps (large or sharp), especially when city driving. I did search this site extensively and it looks like it could be my lower control arm. Can you guys give me your opinion.

Also if it is where can I get the part and about how much does it cost.

Thanks

AGC

could be lower control arm and/or strut rod. If you've got the clunk over bumps, then I would think it's the control arm. I had my strut rods replaced, and still had that clunk on bumps. replaced all my control arms, and it was gone. After inspecting the old parts, the lower was in a lot worse shape than the uppers. What year is your car and I'll find the parts for ya'.

No sweat amigo. Check out the attachment. #8 is the lower control arm. You can get it for $190. # 12 is the strut rod, for $89. Here is the link where I found them.

Select your car, and look in the collision catelog under front suspension components. Dealer prices are about $50-$60+ more. These two aren't too hard to do yourself, but an indie mechanic can do this as well. Find one that doesn't charge by hourly rate for each part, they overlap. I would almost bet that if your lower control arm is worn out, the strut rod is worn out too "taking more load pressure from failing control arm bushing." I would suggest doing them both at the same time since they're tied together. This is not a dealer required repair, and I wouldn't take it to them. You'll pay 4 x what you should if you do.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=20&catalogid=2

post-15797-1119018118_thumb.jpg

I would guess strut rods. My car used to do the same things-clunk when braking and hitting large bumbs, but drove beautifully otherwise. I had an indep Lexus shop change the 2 strut rods, and all has been well.

Thanks blake918, I just spoke to Sewell Lexus and they also think that it is more likely that the strut bar is bad and not the lower control arm.

FYI I have a 2000 LS400 with 37k miles.

with only 37k miles on the car, i agree that it's probably just the strut rod.