Srt Intake Questions

Actually getting it next week: 2001 GS430, no mods, 13.4k miles.

What's the scoop on intakes for GS430's? I'm coming from the SC forum, where BFI is definitely the way to go. I did a search and the SRT gets a lot of props on this board, so contemplating getting that system. Lextasy.com says 30hp for SRT system, sounds a little high.

Also on SRT: is it hard to install, the ECU chip specifically? Is there any fabrication necessary, and what exactly do I do to the ECU?

I'm a novice, so low and over the plate.

Srt is the way to go for sure.30hp is a little high if you check out the SRT site it shows dyno charts and I think its closer to 20hp.And no you will not get any check engine lights if you install it properly.Just in case thats mentioned again.The install of the piggy back is pretty easy you will want to solder it in and use shrink tubing but its pretty easy.Good luck

A bit off the topic but I am in the market for a GS430. If I may ask, how much did you pay for the car and whom (dealer, private, auction) did you buy it from? I am amazed at the low mileage on your new GS! Thanks.

A bit off the topic but I am in the market for a GS430.  If I may ask, how much did you pay for the car and whom (dealer, private, auction) did you buy it from?  I am amazed at the low mileage on your new GS!  Thanks.

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky to have found it with that mileage. It was the guy's third car, just didn't drive it much. I'm paying $30k, going to pick it up next week, either Tuesday or Thursday. (It's two hours away.) It has every option available, including the tire/rim upgrade, nav, mklevinson, etc.

FYI: You know there are a lot of scam cars for sale, right? The vin's check and everything on Carfax, but these jerks are copying old ads with vin's and posting them as their own, getting deposits and running. I came across FIVE while looking for a GS/BMW. I even had a guy offer full price for my SC I'm selling, then say he made his check out too large, and would need me to send him the difference while he sent me the "check." Right. Just in case you didn't know, didn't want you to get scammed. They seem to do it mostly on the nicer cars, and always have unbelievable prices.

I did the install myself, I do not believe it will take a novice more than two hours. The only fabrication you need to do it make a small cut in the engine cover for the pipe to fit. You will also need a solder iron, and shrink tubing to wire in the daughterboard. I had meant to document the install with color pictures to post up here as I did it, but my girlfreind had my digital camera. There is definitely a HP gain you can feel, and believe it or not fuel milage goes up to. Unless you are gassin it all the time, like I'm sure many on this forum do!! I added the Borla exhaust first, but wasn't satisfied with the sound till added the SRT intake. Also buy direct from SRT, they are great to deal with and cheaper than anywhere else.

I did the install myself, I do not believe it will take a novice more than two hours.  The only fabrication you need to do it make a small cut in the engine cover for the pipe to fit.  You will also need a solder iron, and shrink tubing to wire in the daughterboard.  I had meant to document the install with color pictures to post up here as I did it, but my girlfreind had my digital camera.  There is definitely a HP gain you can feel, and believe it or not fuel milage goes up to.  Unless you are gassin it all the time, like I'm sure many on this forum do!!  I added the Borla exhaust first, but wasn't satisfied with the sound till added the SRT intake.  Also buy direct from SRT, they are great to deal with and cheaper than anywhere else.

Perfect. Great response, good information. Thanks, I'll be calling them today. As it turns out I may be able to get the car this weekend.

QUESTION: How reliable is SRT. Looks like a small operation, and I want top quality parts on my GS. I want no maintenance issues because of putting an intake on it, and the ECU upgrade makes me a bit nervous about buying from a small time operation. They don't have any info about themselves, it sounds like a one-man shop with some guy tinkering around. He may be good, but I want Lexus good. Any help here, before I drop $475?

It is much cheaper to buy from SRT direct, right now they have the intake system for $475, free shipping. Lextasy and l-tuned want over $500 and $600, resectively.

Thanks.

The SRT intake comes with a daughterboard that piggybacks to your ECU it is not an ECU upgrade.

So who developed this board and how reliable is it? My car only has 13.4k miles, I plan on keeping it for a while. I don't want issues down the road because of a rogue product. Not saying it is, trying to confirm its not before I spend $500 and put it on my car.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

i dont think SRT is just some hack shop that takes old washing machine PVC piping, bends it to kinda fit, and the sticks a wal mart intake filter on the end; and includes in the package a 15$ "ecu upgrade" available on ebay under the "one make fits all cars" category. haha

i mean if you look at their site, everything is lexus related. its a high performance lexus tuner, which i am finding are few and far between.

http://www.divisionone.org/inside/srt/srt.html

i mean when the owner of the shop drives a car like in that link you have to assume that :

1. he knows what hes working with

2. He enjoys working with what he is

3. hes not just some guy who sells lexus parts and drives a different brand car

just my opinion

also, i dont think ive read anything bad about the SRT intake on here or anyother board

i dont think SRT is just some hack shop that takes old washing machine PVC piping, bends it to kinda fit, and the sticks a wal mart intake filter on the end; and includes in the package a 15$ "ecu upgrade" available on ebay under the "one make fits all cars" category. haha

i mean if you look at their site, everything is lexus related.  its a high performance lexus tuner, which i am finding are few and far between.

http://www.divisionone.org/inside/srt/srt.html

i mean when the owner of the shop drives a car like in that link you have to assume that :

1. he knows what hes working with

2. He enjoys working with what he is

3. hes not just some guy who sells lexus parts and drives a different brand car

just my opinion

also, i dont think ive read anything bad about the SRT intake on here or anyother board

Thanks. Like I said, not assuming he is a hack, just trying to confirm he's not. You don't just go out and build a motherboard or chip, much less design the software code for it to run . . . That's why I was asking about qualifications. I've got an email in to them, and have tried calling already, so I'll do my own due diligence as well. Just wanted to hear what other enthusiasts thought of Swift. And no offense, but the link you sent me is an article by someone who can't even write or spell correctly and wrote at a junior high intelligence level, didn't exactly give me warm fuzzies. An article in Motor Trend, maybe, but whatever that was, not.

Thanks for the info, just feeling out the GS world and what's available for my new kid.