Part Number Mapping From Rx300 To Highlander

him.john

I just took my '99 RX300 to a local Toyota dealership, with the apparently mis-guided expectation that the sharing of parts between the RX300 and Highlander would allow me to avoid the higher Lexus markup on parts.

I apparently need a new AC compressor and clutch. Conveniently, the dealer website has a very complete parts listing for Toyota products, and some references to Lexus applications. After being quoted almost $1200 for the AC repair, I went to the web to find the parts.

Bottom line, the part that is listed for the Highlander and '99 RX300 is #883204806084 for $330, and the "Lexus" part that the dealer said is specified by Lexus is part #8832048030-84 for $430. Even the service jockey at the dealer admited that it was likely the same part, but he couldn't guarantee it, because he didn't have an official cross reference.

Does anything like this exist?

I know that Toyota is the master of not making different parts when it doesn't matter. Unfortunately for me, I'm paying $100s of dollars more for this service because I can't get the dealer to break ranks and make the match.

I just took my '99 RX300 to a local Toyota dealership, with the apparently mis-guided expectation that the sharing of parts between the RX300 and Highlander would allow me to avoid the higher Lexus markup on parts.

I apparently need a new AC compressor and clutch.  Conveniently, the dealer website has a very complete parts listing for Toyota products, and some references to Lexus applications.  After being quoted almost $1200 for the AC repair, I went to the web to find the parts. 

Bottom line, the part that is listed for the Highlander and '99 RX300 is #883204806084 for $330, and the "Lexus" part that the dealer said is specified by Lexus is part #8832048030-84 for $430.  Even the service jockey at the dealer admited that it was likely the same part, but he couldn't guarantee it, because he didn't have an official cross reference.

Does anything like this exist? 

I know that Toyota is the master of not making different parts when it doesn't matter.  Unfortunately for me, I'm paying $100s of dollars more for this service because I can't get the dealer to break ranks and make the match.

If the Toyota dealer will warrant the complete job I'd have the Toyota dealer do it. The A/C compressor will probably fit the Camry, ES300, RX300, Highlander, Avalon, etc. They are all pretty much the same under the hood. The only Lexus dealer in this area also owns one of the 3 Toyota dealers. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to do ANY work on a Lexus? There are no service manuals available for the RX300 EXCEPT from the dealer. The 2 volumes are $100.00 EACH! I bought a Chiltons service manual at a parts store for the Highlander and guess what? IT WORKS!

Yep, they're probably the same part. But you're correct, Toyota does not make it easy to cross-reference parts between Toyota and Lexus. I agree with Bowtie - go to a Toyota service department for this job or find yourself a well-respected, quality independent garage that specializes in Japanese makes.