Gs To Es Wheel/offset Question

Help ! I just purchased a set of stock chrome 16" wheels off of a GS300 with 215-60-16 tires to put on my 2001 ES300. It had the stock wheels with 205-60-16 tires. Unfortunately when I went to put on my back wheels, it would rub on my rear struts. It seems like the offset is set too far back or the newer wheels are much wider. I think the new width of the tires is about 3/8" wider or so and they rub a little. Is their some sort of spacer i could use ? Maybe some grade 8 washers behind the wheels ? How much would be safe to push them out ? I don't know if when I lower the vehicle back down off of the lift if it would change the angle that they do not rub or not. Is their any sort of trick that the tire shops do ? I could put the old tires back on the new rims but I still do not know if this will work. The darn wheels may be be justy too wide. And they are nearly new pirelli's, I was hoping they would work. Your thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

What are the specs for the ES rims? The GS is 16x7.5 +50 offset. Are the tires rubbing or the rims? How much space is between the tire and the fender lip? I don't think the ES are made that aggressive. You can get spacers but make sure you get some hubcentric ones. You may pick up minor vibrations with spacers and if they are not hubcentric, you probably will.

Heh Neal & Kyle thanks for the replies. I am not sure what the offset is, is their a way to measure ? Yesterday i laid the new wheel/tire combo down with the back side up, placed a board across the tire and measured from the bottom of the board to the back of the wheel. It was about 6 1/2". I think the stock wheel was only about 6" or less. I guess this makes about a 1/2" difference in offset huh ? It is only the tire that I noticed was rubbing. I went to a tire shop today and got some offset plates. 8MM thickness I think. What is hubcentric or how do you tell if these are ? If they provide the necessary clearance, could this type of offset spacing cause any other problems ? Poor handling, excessive suspension wear, etc ?

For the OEM rims, the specs should be stamped into the back edge of the rims. You should see something like 16x7.5 and 50ET. You should see appropriate numbers on the ES ones too.

Since this is in the rear, it should be OK. If the spacers are not hubccentric, you may experience vibrations at different speeds. There are hubcentric spacers that retain the center balance of the wheel. These will mount directly on the wheel studs with the correct size holes. There are hubcentric spacers that is as just described but also has a hub lip to mount the rims. And then, there are the generic ones that is one size fit all. Stay away from this last type as you will get vibrations.

Many times with spacers, you will also need to get longer studs to make sure you can torque the lug nuts with enough revolutions to hold onto the wheels.

The new rims that I got are factory Lexus offf of the gs300 and they are stamped 16x 7.5. I am guessing the stock rims are 6.5 or 7. I will check to see if they have an offset stamp. The guy at the tire store said that with the spacer on, as long as i can tighten the lug nut about 6 revolutions or so, I should be okay. Thanks again !

6 revs are OK, not great but OK. I've seen people with less. When you take off your stock ES wheels, retighten one to see how many you get. I get 11-12 with my GS. If it is the same, you've lost half.

For the best results, I'd look into some H&R spacers. They are pricier but they do come with longer studs and are hubcentric as far as weight distribution. For your needs, they have 5mm and 10mm. 10mm will give you a +40 offset which still is fine since kyle0k has 8" wide rims with +40 and things still work for him.

I think I am probably just going to sell these wheels/tires. I put the spacers on last night and could only get about 4 turns of the lug nuts on the studs and just did not feel comfortable with that. Plus, it only gave me about 1/4" (at most) of space between the tire and the strut. I think I will try to find some stock chrome lexus wheels with about a 7" width max. The current ones are 6" wide. If anyone wants some nice chrome GS wheels and new pirelli tires, let me know. Probably around $450 OBO.

I think I am probably just going to sell these wheels/tires. I put the spacers on last night and could only get about 4 turns of the lug nuts on the studs and just did not feel comfortable with that. Plus, it only gave me about 1/4" (at most) of space between the tire and the strut. I think I will try to find some stock chrome lexus wheels with about a 7" width max. The current ones are 6" wide. If anyone wants some nice chrome GS wheels and new pirelli tires, let me know. Probably around $450 OBO.

I used 3/16 spacers on my es300 to fit on IS rims. they come realy close to the strut but do not touch. have have them on for over a year and love them.

with the 3/16 i got about 8 turns or so. but they do sell longer studs if you are only catching a few threds

What size tires do you have MXL ? The IS300 wheels are probably only 7" wide. the one's that I have are 7 1/2" wide. I was surprised that they were that wide. The tires are 215 too. With the 5/16" spacers (I think), they are at most 1/4" from the strut and only 4 or so turns to tighten. For those reasons i was thinking it was just too sketchy. Plus this is my wife's car that she drives everyday. I am thinking that maybe I could find some IS rims that would work though. Thanks !

im telling you it has nothing to do with ure width,,u can get up to 8 inches for width without a problem,its offset.

if u like the rims dont just sell them,i mean ure prabably gonna loose more money selling them and buying other new ones then u woudl to just get the better quality spacers they where talking about that already come with the longer studs.