Anyone Have The 400h With Res?

If you have a 400h with the factory rear entertainment system, please confirm you can still watch a dvd in the front.

Well, a week after taking delivery I finally had a few minutes to fool around with the RSES/DVD player tonight. And I still haven't figured everything out yet... it's way more complicated than even my home system! It does have some really cool features. For one, I didn't know you could operated the NAV system from the rear. The map/menus can be displayed on the rear screen. This could be really handy on the freeway for inputting an address, since you wouldn't have to pull over. Just let the backseat passengers take care of it! It takes some practice to use the remote (the RSES is not a "touch screen"), but that's what kids are good at anyway! LoL.

Also, yes the DVD picture comes up on the front screen! I hadn't even thought of this, and it's awesome because the resolution on the front screen is fantastic! It looks way better than even the back flip down screen. The car has to be in "Park" and the parking brake must be set. Then, press the "disc" button on the front stereo console. When a DVD is in the player (the RSES/DVD player of course), a secondary "AUX" option comes up after the CD option. Just press the button twice, and the DVD picture comes up on the screen! Funny thing is when you release the parking brake, it just disappears and the NAV map comes up on the screen.

The sound is pretty decent over the Mark Levinson too. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like true "surround" (5.1). Even though all the speakers are utilized; I think it is two-channel stereo. I will test this in the future. Overall, I'm happy with it and I think it is defintiely worth the $1,600 cost for this option. I'm also really glad we didn't go with the dealer installed system, the factory one is great and of course looks completely seemless in the car.

:D

The sound is pretty decent over the Mark Levinson too.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like true "surround" (5.1).  Even though all the speakers are utilized; I think it is two-channel stereo.  I will test this in the future.  Overall, I'm happy with it and I think it is defintiely worth the $1,600 cost for this option.  I'm also really glad we didn't go with the dealer installed system, the factory one is great and of course looks completely seemless in the car.

:D

On ours I had to hit the audio button on the remote to get more than stereo... I think it defaults to stereo for the headphones.

• 3 weeks later...
another great feature if you lose the remote inside the car, hold down the toggle switch on the unit for a few seconds and it will send a signal out and locate the remote.

Does the "roof" mounted RSES unit block your view to the rear when you look in your rearview mirror??

another great feature if you lose the remote inside the car, hold down the toggle switch on the unit for a few seconds and it will send a signal out and locate the remote.

Does the "roof" mounted RSES unit block your view to the rear when you look in your rearview mirror??

Yes - slightly, but not enough to be a problem.

Another question about the RES. I have a problem with it whenever I turn off the car and then turn it on again - e.g. to fill up at a gas station. When I restart the car, the movie continues to play, but is not visible on the rear screen - the screen simply stays blank. The audio is fine, and the movie can be watched on the front screen if I put the car in Park and set the emergency brake.

The only way I have found to get things going again is to eject the DVD and reinsert it, at which point the rear screen comes back to life, but of course I've lost the place on the DVD. Does anyone else have this problem, or do I have a defective unit?

• 1 month later...

I have the RES and love it so far. I agree, it's more complicated than my home system!

As someone already stated, yes, you can watch on the front screen but only in park with the parking break set. I've read on other parts of the board a method of disconnecting the speed control sensor on the RX330 so that you can watch on the front screen while moving. Has anyone tried this on the RX400h?

one correction the rear passengers cannot insert the address when the car is in motion..ive tried that on my GX (srry if im mistaken) and to turn on the DVD once again on the rear screen push source on the remote and than select DVD...pushing source should turn the screen on...and can you please specify the "toggle" button..where is it and what does it look like?

thanks,

india