What Works Better Than Engine Degreaser?

My 1992 LS had been in the city of Chicago for many years. I worked for hours with the clay bar and polish and the results were amazing! Pearl white has to be one of the most beautiful colors on any car ever!

I tried using Engine Degreaser on the engine and under hood components. I followed the directions and sprayed it on with a warm (not hot) engine from about 8-12". I was sure to protect all electrical components first, and did not have any issues with the car afterward. I let the degreaser set for about 10 minutes according to the directions, even used a wire brush for some difficult areas. Then sprayed off, and the results were less than stellar. Lots of grease and grime left, some areas just seem too embedded to remove. Is there another product or method I should try? I repeated the process without much improvement.

In addition, I am trying to remove the buildup of ps fluid under the car to isolate the leaks, and want to clean this area as well but the degreaser was ineffective here too. I don't mind a little elbow grease, just need a better solution...

Simple kerosene is a good solvent based degreaser. For example, Toyota recommends kerosene for cleaning wheel bearings of old grease and kerosene is also the main ingredient in many bug and tar oil removers. Formula 409 is a good water based degreaser.

However, I personally consider it too risky to clean a electronically controlled fuel injected, engine. Except for cosmetics, there's no urgent reason to clean up the exterior of an engine. However, timing belt replacement, spark plug wire replacement, starter replacement and other engine repair and maintenance work does involve removing several parts that can be safely degreased once they have been pulled free from the engine.

·Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) or a citrus-based general cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.

·Enable the cleaner to work by allowing dwell time (but do not allow to completely dry)

·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water before drying with a cloth.

·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)

JonM

·Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) or a citrus-based general cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.

·Enable the cleaner to work by allowing dwell time (but do not allow to completely dry)

·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water before drying with a cloth.

·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)

JonM

Could not have offered any-better products myself!!

P21S Total Auto Wash

Autoglym Engine Cleaner