Dash Rattle

jetman

The other day I took my RX330 (nearly 2 months old) to the dealer to repair a dash rattle (as well as a few other minor things). After the car has been sitting out in the sun, the dash rattles from both air vents. I assume that the heat makes the dash expand slightly, causing friction between the vents and the dash, resulting in rattle. It has been persistant on hot days, and very annoying. The service manager had me take a ride with the lead tech to check out the noise, but since it was a cool and cloudy day, I was unable to reproduce the noise (not even a squeak). Hence, the service department did not even attempt to fix the problem. I was told "you'll have to bring it back on a sunny day, so we can figure out where the noise is coming from"; my service receipt said basically the same thing.

Although I felt like an idiot for not being able to reproduce the noise on demand, I still think that I gave them enough information on the location and probable cause to at least attempt a repair. On one hand, I can see the dealer's point, but on the other hand there's no reason I would take the vehicle in unless I was certain that there WAS a problem. I think I should have been given the benefit of the doubt. It's not exactly convienient for me to go back to the dealer on another day, either (and have to schedule another service appointment as well).

BTW, I kind of "fixed" the problem myself by spraying WD-40 around the edges where the vent plastic meets the dash. Don't know how long it'll last, but at least it stopped the noise which was driving me crazy. I'm sure a more permanent fix would involve putting felt strips around those edges.

So am I wrong to feel that I was not taken seriously by the dealer, or did they do the right thing by waiting until they actually can hear the noise for themselves?

I had the same problem, but only on cold days it seemed.  They made it sound like they knew exactly what it was and said they insulated around the vents and I haven't had a problem since.

So I take it that you did not have to demonstrate the problem to the dealer before they fixed it?

Jetman,

don't feel too bad about your experience. I've been through a couple of those as well. That happened to me when my hatch wasn't opening right with the key fob. The advisor made me look like a fool. However, always check with this site for TSB's on your particular problem. Then the next time you go in, arm yourself with the TSB and the dealer will sure fix it without a fight.

Good luck. ;)

I had the same problem, but only on cold days it seemed.  They made it sound like they knew exactly what it was and said they insulated around the vents and I haven't had a problem since.

So I take it that you did not have to demonstrate the problem to the dealer before they fixed it?

No, I didn't .... they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about when I described it.