Hood Discoloration

hello people i have a black 98 ls400 recently i have noticed that the black has completely disappeared from the front of my hood where it meets the grill and over the headlights. It looks kind of gray and its really noticeable. Does anyone have any ideas? A friend told me it looks like the clear coat is being stripped off but from what i have read in this forum i thought that lexus didnt use a clear coat on the model. Am i right or wrong?

90% chance it doesn't have a clearcoat, but some of them do. That does sound like clearcoat failure (delamination) to me.

Can you post pictures?

whats up SW03ES? I was hoping that you would reply since it seems like you give alot of good advice from all of your replies. Im new to this so please excuse my slow responses even though ive been browsing through the forums for a couple of months now. I wont be able to post any pictures until my chick shows me how to do the whole download thing from the camera tomorrow. Until then let me give you a little bit of history on the car. Originally i had a 91 ls which was pearl white then i updated to this 98 about 2 years ago i did the carfax history a no major damages came up but i did notice some minor damage to the bumper anyway i still got it because i knew how good these cars run. I always wondered why it never shined all the time until i started reading the posts about the clear coat. one day i stopped by a bodyshop and asked the guy what he could do to make it shine again. Of course he tried to tell me that he would have to paint the whole car again because it looked like the hood had been repainted and he wouldnt know how many coats of paint the car already had. It sounded like abunch of bull at the time but do you think my hood is fading because someone did abad paint job and put some clearcoat on top? sorry i didnt mean to go on i just wanted to give all of the information i could since i cant really type that well

My guess is thats why the paint on the hood is failing, that was my next question has the hood ever been repainted.

Unfortunately if its a clearcoat failure then the guy's right, a repaint of the hood will be the only option.

Welcome to the site!

My guess is thats why the paint on the hood is failing, that was my next question has the hood ever been repainted.

Unfortunately if its a clearcoat failure then the guy's right, a repaint of the hood will be the only option.

Welcome to the site!

whats up people? I cant seem to save the pictures off the mini dv as soon i figure it out ill post some pictures. Good thing that i have a custom colgan bra that i ordered a couple of months ago for my trips back and forth to baltimore and it looks pretty good too. Ill keep you guys posted though thanks alot

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the site!

these are the photos I was talking about...sorry I took so long to repy...I just got back from Jamaica.

Welcome to the site!

these are the photos I was talking about...sorry I took so long to repy...I just got back from Jamaica.

sorry i thought i knew how to attach the pictures but i guess not i would appreciate if someone could walk me through it

Do you have a resizing program? If not download the free one at www.xat.com

Once you have them resized to within the size constraints shown when you try to attatch, just attatch them to your post using the link in the reply screen.

Once you have them resized to within the size constraints shown when you try to attatch, just attatch them to your post using the link in the reply screen.

i keep losing my internet every time i log on to that site, anyway when i take the picture off the computer i can resize it but i still cant seem to attach it correctly its most likely me so can you just take me through the steps exactly i appreciate all your help

post-17259-1118689603_thumb.jpgpost-17259-1118689583_thumb.jpgpost-17259-1118689564_thumb.jpg

i think i got it now someone told me that it might be oxidation and a detail shop could clean it up with a PC as well as get all the swirls out of my paint. what do you think?

I can't really make it out from those pictures but a detail shop would be my first stop.

i knew it would be hard to see because of the sun glass but i will try to find a good shop in brooklyn and let you know what happens