Vsc Abbs Vsc Off Light On

Hi there - After I had my front ball joints replaced on my 99 GS300 the VSC ABS and VSC off dashboard alarms / lights went on. According to the shop code reader this is due to a defect speed sensor and has nothing to do with the ball joint replacement. I wonder....especially since the alarms were not there before replacing the ball joints and appeared immediately after replacement. Any insights are welcome. THANKS!

Most likely, the "mechanic  <_< " did not connect one or both of the wheel speed sensors when he was done.

Thanks! I'll check with the 'mechanic'. Or is this something easy for me to check out. Do you know where I can find a schematic of where this speedsensor is?

Thanks again.

The wheel speed sensor is directly behind the wheel bearing hub, towards the front of the car. It's the only wire found in the wheel bearing area. Follow the wire back from the sensor to the connector connecting to the harness.

post-4610-1117435462_thumb.jpg

The wheel speed sensor is directly behind the wheel bearing hub, towards the front of the car. It's the only wire found in the wheel bearing area. Follow the wire back from the sensor to the connector connecting to the harness.

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know the outcome.

Hi GuyTelefunken - Just came from under my car. I believe I found the speed sensor cable but had a hard time following the cable from the the wheel to the harness as it disappeared through protection shields.

Is there another way to find the connector connecting to the hardness besides removing the shelds? If you have another schematic indicating where this is, that would be great.

Thanks again!

what happened is that they did not support the abs sensors when the suspension was apart and it probably stretched and broke the wires for one or both of the sensors. search and you'll see...

what happened is that they did not support the abs sensors when the suspension was apart and it probably stretched and broke the wires for one or both of the sensors. search and you'll see...

I had my front suspension apart for ball joints and shocks, but I don't recall any particular problem stressing the wiring. It was a while back though, and anything is possible.

Best way to tell is put it on a lift. It's a lot easier to look around when the car is up. Most likely you will have to remove the splash shield under the fender to see it.

If you find they are connected, you can verify if speed signal is missing from any particular wheel with any OBII generic scantool. Connect it to the car and drive slowly in a straight line. Look for the individual wheel speeds on the scantool and verify that each wheel reports the same speed at the same time. If a signal is missing on a particular wheel, look for problems there. Improper tightening of the sensor mounting bolt or wiring disconnections or breaks are possible.

As well, sometimes when a sensor is failing or not properly mounted flush to the hub (rust or dirt between the sensor mounting flange and hub) it will not show any signal at low speeds but start to generate proper signals at higher vehicle speeds. This is due in part to the accurate air gap necessary between the sensor and the magnetic stator ring roting inside the hub.

First job is to determine which wheel(s) is causing your trouble. The scantool is the easiest method and you don't even have to get your hands dirty. :D

post-4610-1117608945_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone, I had the same issue with my car. I had the front bumper removed to do some work on my headlights. it seems that there was a sensor behind the Windshield reservior bottle. The mechanic forgot to plug it back in. when they did that the lights went out. That is what they told me anyway...but that was my exact problem that you are having and that is what they said fixed it.