Navigation System And Tinted Windows

Gentlemen,

Have just purchased an 04 ES330 with the navigation system... and tinted windows. I would say the tint is about 50% of the darkest that you could put on the car. My wife (its her ride) wants to tint the glass to the 100% level, as her last ES was done. After reading the Navigation Handbook, I see that they reccommend that you do not tint the glass on the car as it could affect the GPS of the system. Does anyone know why? Has anyone gone for the darkest tint and have the navigation system? How does it perform? Any problems?

Gentlemen,

Have just purchased an 04  ES330 with the navigation system... and tinted windows. I would say the tint is about 50% of the darkest that you could put on the car. My wife (its her ride) wants to tint the glass to the 100% level, as her last ES was done. After reading the Navigation Handbook, I see that they reccommend that you do not tint the glass on the car as it could affect the GPS of the system. Does anyone know why? Has anyone gone for the darkest tint and have the navigation system? How does it perform? Any problems?

Most 'quality' tints are metalized tint & yes it can skew the signals in the nav system. The % of tint is you refer to is the actual % of light that the tint let's in. As an example, a very light tint is 50% (let's in roughly 50% of the light in the car). The darkest is roughly 5% (or 'limo' tint). Check with your state laws as there are 'darkness' limits you can put on the two front door windows....usually 50% or 35%. B) '

:cheers:

Gentlemen,

A call to the dealership got an answer back from their head office service rep... its alright to tint the windows with the navigation system. Curious that the navigation manual says otherwise. I'll go ahead and make my bride happy by tinting the glass as she wishes. If problems arise, I'll bring this thread up to date. As for tinting the windows beyond what the law states is legal, I have tinted the windows of the 2 daily drivers as dark as possible for the last 21 years here in Southern Ontario, and I have never been challenged by the police. By the same token, whenever I enter a customs booth, or go through a police checkpoint ( looking for drinking drivers) etc., I always put down the windows front and rear on the side of the car that the police officer is next to. It has never been mentioned. That's not to say that someday I'll be looking at a ticket for over tinting, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• 2 years later...